• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows vista activation issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
my friend had a bad copy of ultimate. He bought a copy today and hd issues changing the product key. He gave me his system and i saw online how to use the run command to do it, however vista is only allowing 4 options, and his firefox browser to be open. no start menu or anything, looks like explorer is not loaded... i tried to type in the new key and it is saying invalid, i did a crack bypass when vista first came out and aparently they caught it, which is why he bought one. any ideas besides reinstalling?

my friend had a bad copy of ultimate. He bought a copy today and hd issues changing the product key. He gave me his system and i saw online how to use the run command to do it, however vista is only allowing 4 options, and his firefox browser to be open. no start menu or anything, looks like explorer is not loaded... i tried to type in the new key and it is saying invalid, i did a crack bypass when vista first came out and aparently they caught it, which is why he bought one. any ideas besides reinstalling?

I have a legit copy of Vista Ultimate and it recently started the 30 day activation ticking bomb of death.

I wonder if they broke something in a recent update?

I think I read somewhere around here, and a couple of places around the interweb, that in some cases, upgrading to SP1 can have a similar effect. I'll look around and see what I can dig up again.

Edit: Accidentally hit "Submit Reply" twice. Will post what I find here.

Edit again: Here is what I have found so far, I hope this helps. I am still looking. I remember seeing it somewhere, just don't remember where.

Last edited:
thx, after searching myself and not being able to redo it from safemode i just reinstalled and it backedup the old drive, he didnt have much on it anyways... key worked, thx for trying though

Back