• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attempting above 3.6 on q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jinu

im able to get 3.6 on my G0 and tried to go higher. i am able to boot into windows fine at 3.8 (423*9) using 1.52 vcore but when i run prime95, core1 fails after about 5 mins. i tried upping the vcore and still get the same result.
i dont think cooling is the issue since i am running water and am completely stable at 15 hours of prime95. any ideas on how i can go higher?

im able to get 3.6 on my G0 and tried to go higher. i am able to boot into windows fine at 3.8 (423*9) using 1.52 vcore but when i run prime95, core1 fails after about 5 mins. i tried upping the vcore and still get the same result.
i dont think cooling is the issue since i am running water and am completely stable at 15 hours of prime95. any ideas on how i can go higher?
I'm only on air, but I was able to reach my max prime95 stable speed at 3.85GHz....but I needed 1.575V (and lots of air) to get there. How much extra voltage have you tried giving it?

i got the vcore up to 1.52 before i decided to stop cause i didnt want to go to high.....yet. will work on it more later this weekend.
i did bump the nb up a tad, 1.3 i believe, how high can i safely go before i meed better than passive cooling? or is it pretty much trial and oops. and if i remove 2 sticks, should i just go with 2x2gb? i will be dual booting vista 64 just so i can mess around with vista more and would like to have 4gb of ram.

Even at stock NB volts I would still actively cool that chipset. P35 is much better then 965 but you are still putting a hurting on it with an overclocked quad and 4 DIMMS.

Have you adjusted any other CPU settings? (REF and PLL voltages, drop enhancment things of that nature...I forget Abits terminology for them)

i got the vcore up to 1.52 before i decided to stop cause i didnt want to go to high.....yet. will work on it more later this weekend.
i did bump the nb up a tad, 1.3 i believe, how high can i safely go before i meed better than passive cooling? or is it pretty much trial and oops. and if i remove 2 sticks, should i just go with 2x2gb? i will be dual booting vista 64 just so i can mess around with vista more and would like to have 4gb of ram.

Are you looking for a 24/7 OC??? If so, I think your Vcore is too high. Most ppl reccommend staying under 1.5V for 24/7 duties. Maybe you should back it off to 3.6GHz like most others...plus, it'll solve your 2 vs 4 DIMM dilema.

If you're only looking for max stable OC....then taking the 2 DIMMS out would be temporary anyway, so what's the problem?

Are you looking for a 24/7 OC??? If so, I think your Vcore is too high. Most ppl reccommend staying under 1.5V for 24/7 duties.

I have been running 3.8GHz @ 1.52V 24/7 for the last 6 months (on water) with heavy number crunching. Zero problems. Intel lists absolute maximum vcore at 1.55V for the Q6600.

Jinu, do me a favor and bring it to that max overclock again, and run prime on all 4 as usual and tell me what CPU-Z reports your core voltage as before a core fails out. I want to see how far it droops.

I have been running 3.8GHz @ 1.52V 24/7 for the last 6 months (on water) with heavy number crunching. Zero problems. Intel lists absolute maximum vcore at 1.55V for the Q6600.

I said MOST ppl ;)

I'm more confident in high voltages/temps being safe than the average OCer as well. Apparently, you are even more confident than me...:beer:

Jinu, do me a favor and bring it to that max overclock again, and run prime on all 4 as usual and tell me what CPU-Z reports your core voltage as before a core fails out. I want to see how far it droops.

i will get to it tomorrow when i get done with class. for anyone in college NEVER TAKE A SPRING INTERIM CLASS!!!!!! one week for 16 weeks of material. driving me up the wall. /rant

set up to 423*9 1.54 vcore and 1.33 nb. vdrop was 1.456 and after about 17 mins the second core had a rounding error. now, its always the second core thats failing. should i reset my waterblock? will that help any?

edit: still had all 4 dimms occupied as well. will try running with two dimms later tonight.

Shouldn't you get that NB up a little? Set NB to 1.4+ and see how it runs, then try going up one more notch on vcore if that doesn't help. Watch PWM temps because they are going to get HOT with a quad at that vcore.

set up to 423*9 1.54 vcore and 1.33 nb. vdrop was 1.456 and after about 17 mins the second core had a rounding error. now, its always the second core thats failing. should i reset my waterblock? will that help any?

edit: still had all 4 dimms occupied as well. will try running with two dimms later tonight.

What about more VTT volts & GTL REF? I finally got 400x9 running Prime95 24+ hours stable by changing these.

go higher on the NB. mine is at 1.7 for my 3.5GHz OC. might not need it, i just jacked everything up for my 1.325 VID chip. i havent tried reducing it to see its affect on stability yet.

mine doesnt even feel warm to the touch. that could be my MB (asus p5k3 deluxe, lots of heat pipes) and case flow (antec 900) though.

edit: its warm to the touch, but not hot in the least.

Back