• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

My pata hard drive failed so I bought a SATA drive. Problem I'm having is I can't get Ubuntu or windows xp to work. I searched through the internet and cant find an answer. I don't have a floppy drive on my pc. What is a Raid? do I have to have two sata drives?

Raid is for when you want to run two harddrives together for either speed or safety. Sounds like you've got an option checked in the bios for running your sata in raid format. I cannot remember what the bios options were in the older NF7 boards so I cannot talk you through changing that, but it's a simple fix. Someone whos running that board could do that, give it a little time, they'll pop in soon enough. :)

on my asus the option on the bios says 'configure sata as' then 3 options, raid, ide or achi
look for similar in your bios and set ide

does your mobo have more than 1 disk controller maybe?
try a different sata socket if it does
for example my asus has 2, 1 set of sockets runs from the Intel ICH9 chipset and doesn't need a driver floppy but the other set of sockets use the jmicron chip and do need the driver floppy for xp

My pata hard drive failed so I bought a SATA drive. Problem I'm having is I can't get Ubuntu or windows xp to work. I searched through the internet and cant find an answer. I don't have a floppy drive on my pc. What is a Raid? do I have to have two sata drives?

are you having issues installing xp? you might need to use F6 to install the drivers associated with the sata drives.

I've had several of the NF4 DFIs and never needed to install third party drivers. It should recognize it as a single sata hdd, if not try clearing your cmos and rebooting. You'll need to redo all your other settings but that should reset the board and cause it to recognize the drive as a single sata drive.

There aren't any jumpers on the drive itself causing any issues is there? Normal sata drives usually don't have any jumpers, but I'm not famaliar with all hdds. :)

Back