• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU's from nVidia...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning[983]

'ello

I know the title is a bit lame but i couldn't think of anything else :D

I have this old ATi x1950GT i bought in December because i thought nVidia will put out a new card or 2 untill the end of Q1, but they did nothing... well except launch 9800GX2, but i'm not interested in multi-GPU solutions... more into something in the price range of the old 8800GTS..

Now my question is, does anyone know when nVidia will release their next gen GPU's? my limit of waiting is June/July so if anyone has any info... should i just wait or get an 8800 GT now?

The reason i'm asking is because i don't really have the cash to buy a new card every 6 months, so i don't wanna end up with something too slow...

BTW, my resolution of choice is 1920*1200 (since i have a 24" screen)

Well, thans :)
Tom,

IMO I would buy a 9600GT now, if you wait there is no telling how long you'll have to wait.

If you read his post, you'll notice that he plays at 1920x1200, and doesn't want to need a new card in 6 months. Those factors obviously rule out the 9600GT.

Your best bet if you don't want the X2 or GX2 is to go with a G92 GTS, or possibly the G92 GTX. It'll be out in a few days, so you can see how it will stack up..

If you read his post, you'll notice that he plays at 1920x1200, and doesn't want to need a new card in 6 months. Those factors obviously rule out the 9600GT.

Your best bet if you don't want the X2 or GX2 is to go with a G92 GTS, or possibly the G92 GTX. It'll be out in a few days, so you can see how it will stack up..

Ahh, you are correct the 9600GT would not do the job. I do not have a monitor capable of 1920x1200 so am I correct in thinking that a 8800GTS (G92) would suffice?

The reason i'm asking is because i don't really have the cash to buy a new card every 6 months, so i don't wanna end up with something too slow...
Nothing is forcing you to buy a card every 6 months ;)

My single 8800GTS (G92) plays on my 24" (1920x1200) with no issues. Heck, even Crysis pulls 30fps!

Most games (not Crysis), I can actually span across my dual 24" (3840x1200) and still do 60+ with high settings.

Now my question is, does anyone know when nVidia will release their next gen GPU's? my limit of waiting is June/July so if anyone has any info... should i just wait or get an 8800 GT now?

That would be the G100 core, due out Q3 of this year. All cores released before then will just be tweaked versions of the cores they have now, nothing new or original at all.

Most games (not Crysis), I can actually span across my dual 24" (3840x1200) and still do 60+ with high settings

Running the game in a window? I have dual 1600x1200 screens and wouldn't mind checking that out. I always thought that games ran in a pretty rigit set of resolutions, so I didn't even think there was any real way of even doing that.

How do you handle the fact that the split comes right down the middle? :)

If your limit is waiting till June/July then wait till then and ask again, you'll obviusly get the best answer then.

Running the game in a window? I have dual 1600x1200 screens and wouldn't mind checking that out. I always thought that games ran in a pretty rigit set of resolutions, so I didn't even think there was any real way of even doing that.

How do you handle the fact that the split comes right down the middle? :)
Yuppers :)

Most games will require a registry or ini "hack" (changing numbers) to get it to just default to the correct resolution :)

Split down the middle? Yeah, racing games and FPS I don't, that gets old FAST.

RTS or RPG is AMAZING. WoW is AMAZING.

9800GTX is scheduled to be released on April 1st. That is the closest to "next-gen" (besides the GX2) you'll get before the new GPU arrives in Q3 like ghost said.

Yuppers :)

Most games will require a registry or ini "hack" (changing numbers) to get it to just default to the correct resolution :)

Split down the middle? Yeah, racing games and FPS I don't, that gets old FAST.

RTS or RPG is AMAZING. WoW is AMAZING.

I can see playing a FPS with that setup.. If half the enemy is on one screen, and the other half is on the other, fire away..

Can you turn them to a portrait layout and do 2400x1920?

I can see playing a FPS with that setup.. If half the enemy is on one screen, and the other half is on the other, fire away..

Can you turn them to a portrait layout and do 2400x1920?
Well, the only thing is that you over-judge the distance to move...you will get used to it, but its a pain.

And yes, if your screens can do that :)

Well i don't really know that much on what cards are going to be released, so i was just wanting to know if there's anything planned...

I was hoping something like that would be released since i kind of prefer nVidia... but not to a point that i would buy it no matter the performance...

Nothing is forcing you to buy a card every 6 months ;)

My single 8800GTS (G92) plays on my 24" (1920x1200) with no issues. Heck, even Crysis pulls 30fps!

Most games (not Crysis), I can actually span across my dual 24" (3840x1200) and still do 60+ with high settings.

I know no one is forcing me, but still... i don't wanna buy something now, and have a new card released in a month...

I have an ASUS 8800 GTS on one of my computers, this card is for my other rig. I know it works on, but i see no sense in buying something that's been on the market for a full year...

If your limit is waiting till June/July then wait till then and ask again, you'll obviusly get the best answer then.

I was just curious if there's anything planned to be released...

Thanx for the input... i think i'll wait for the next gen cards.

'ello

I know the title is a bit lame but i couldn't think of anything else :D

I have this old ATi x1950GT i bought in December because i thought nVidia will put out a new card or 2 untill the end of Q1, but they did nothing... well except launch 9800GX2, but i'm not interested in multi-GPU solutions... more into something in the price range of the old 8800GTS..

BTW, my resolution of choice is 1920*1200 (since i have a 24" screen)

Well, thans :)
Tom,

The 55nm G100 cards (or whatever NV ends up calling them) are due out early in the
3rd quarter.

A DX10 G92 8800GTS is selling for about $250 now and is roughly twice as fast as that
DX9 1950 you have now.

Viper

Get a G92 8800GTS for $250 and clock it up slightly instead of paying $100 for the
OEM's to do that for you then slapping a 9800GTX label on it lol.

Viper

The GTX does have faster memory on its side and a better power supply section with higher default voltages so it should get ~10% better memory clock and higher GPU clock without mods, but that's about it. If GTX at equivalent pricing after the intitial rush is $100 more though I agree it is hard to justify. However it's perfect for those of us who paid much more than $250 for a GTS and can trade it in via step-up or whatever.

The 55nm G100 cards (or whatever NV ends up calling them) are due out early in the
3rd quarter.

A DX10 G92 8800GTS is selling for about $250 now and is roughly twice as fast as that
DX9 1950 you have now.

Viper

How much do you want to bet NV pushes release back? I think its highly unlikely that nVidia undermines its sales of 9xxx series cards a mere 3-4 months after they release them.

Back