• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Knoppix Live cd troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Ok so its been a few years since I have spent much time in the land of *Nix. So here is my problem.

I'm running knoppix I forget distro # live from cd but I need to access C:\sp\i386 so I can pull Windows XP SP2 off my NTFS partition for the drivers I need to run my wireless card. There is a program called Captive Install Acquire now it will do what I need it to however it locks up every time I tell it to search the drive. Now I know the path to the drive which would be /dev/hdc1#libntfs:/ but getting it to access past that point isn't working. Also being its a live cd I just can't pop XP pro into drive and pull off SP2 from the cd.

Now I could partition the hd and run a dual boot but was not trying to do that. So if someone out there could point me in the right direction I would be truly thankful.

Thanks in advance,
Ambientfiction

Last edited:
You're tryiing to get this windows driver for Knoppix to use correct? You shouldn't need write capability to read the driver files.

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc

You should be able to browse the files. There's nowhere to copy them in knoppix except for other linux filesystems you've mounted, or /home/knoppix, which is in the ramdisk.

This past weekend I used Knoppix 5.1 to copy files off an ntfs drive, out of a friend's dead computer. I could browse all, copy any files from the ntfs drive, just had to enable read/write permissions for the pendrive that I copied the files to.

Back