• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMOS Reset q6600 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shark1217

Registered
I was changing my memory timing in the bios but when I restarted I got a blank screen. So long story short, I reset the CMOS and when I opened up my bios I had a 1.6 GHZ at 266 FSB speed with 6 multiplier. Before I reset everything I had a 3.0 at 333 FSB with 9 multiplier. I cant change the multiplier and when I set my BIOS to 333 FSB the computer will not start up and i have to reset BIOS. WHat do I do?

Edit: All of my other programs are saying it is 266 FSB with 9 multiplier. THe only programs that dont say this are the BIOS and CPU-z which say 266 with 6 multiplier. Nvidia control panel, coretemp and NVIDia system monitor say 266 with 9 multiplier.

Last edited:
when you cleared the cmos you cleared the overclock , just put ur settings back like it was before you reset cmos , leave the timings alone

when you cleared the cmos you cleared the overclock , just put ur settings back like it was before you reset cmos , leave the timings alone
What I was saying when I did but back my CPU overclock and resetted it without changing the timings it still didnt work. I will try the speed step.

I tried to go for 3.0GHZ but it failed. I set Core Voltage to 1.35, Core FSB to 1.25 and changed my frequency to 3.0 GHZ. Werid thing is, I set my multiplier to 9 but it is showing up as 9.5 on the BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.

Alright I just did that. SpeedStep is enabled and it grayed out so I cant disable it.

Not really sure what flashing means. I thought it meant to reset it to default. I did that in the BIOS. It now says it is at 9x multiplier so thats right. I havent tried to OC it yet to 3.0GHZ. What would be a good core voltage and FSB core voltage?

C1E will change the multiplier to 6x if you dont have a load on it. There are energy saving procedures in place, such as C1E, which can be disabled if you choose to. There isnt any real downside to having it enabled unless youre benching, in which case, that split second can cost you some points.

Without knowing your full system, its hard to say, but typically, q6600's can reach 3.0 without any voltage changes. Just make sure to take it in small steps, 2mhz or so, so you can see if you have any errors, or need to watch your temps because theyre climbing too high.

up the FSB in 2mhz steps? that will take forever. i usually up the FSB 10-15mhz at a time and then back it down once i start getting errors. unless you have a totally bunk chip, you should be able to at least boot into windows at 3ghz and run some stability tesst without having to try any lower speeds first. personally, i would just shut off speedstep and C1E and up the FSB from 266 to 333 (1066 to 1333) and make sure that the multi is set to 9. like i said, i should be stable enough to at least boot and then you can go from there.

Err... 200Mhz, Ie. .2Ghz. And thats overall, so 20/9 = 22.22..., so make it an even 22.
That would take forever, I hope he isnt doing that right now.

No i will start doing the overclocking tomorrow when I have more time. Before I reset the CMOS i was able to get 3GHZ with 34-40C idle and 50 with load.

I went to 1200 on the FSB or 2.7GHZ with 1.35 Core Volt. and Core FSB Stock Volt. at 1.20. I set it and restarted and nothing showed up on the screen for 10 minutes so I reset the CMOS again. What should I try now. I was thinking about raising the Core FSB Volt.

you shouldn't need more FSB volts for that low of a FSB unless you are using 4 sticks of ram. are you running a 680 or a 780 mobo? i still think that you have a borked BIOS and need to reflash. not to be mean or anything, but since you don't know what it is to flash your BIOS, i'm not going to try tell you how to do it. i can tell you that resetting the CMOS and flashing the BIOS are two totally different things. i will also tell you that although you may find a guide explaining how to flash the BIOS from windows or from DOS, the only way i recommend doing it is from DOS. i know doing it from windows will sound easier, but its bad. as far as a detailed step by step how-to, you'll need to search around for that.

Back