• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions! 2 x 3870x2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I can tell you that I would never attempt it. I don't know if it can, more like...I wouldn't trust that power supply to do anything except fail and die.

There is no way you need a 1k PSU to run two of those....way overkill.

Well, I have to fail sometime :shrug:

It was about time :-/
LOL! Good answer dude! :beer:

I've heard of some who were using good 750W PSU to run a pair of HD 2900XT, and since a 3870 X2 suck less juice a 2900XT, that 720W Enemax PSU should be up tot the challenge. Me? I kinda went overboard and got an OP1000, but in my defense, I'd gotten it even before the release of the 2900XT, so I was playing it safe and erring on the side of safety.

BTW, are Navig?:confused:

thideras does have a point there... I don't think I would trust anything less than an Antec Quattro 850W...

But, opinions are opinions... And factual based stuff would be better for this situation. All I can say is, try it, see what happens...

i would get a usage monitor that goes in line between you PSU and the wall outlet. you can use that to monitor what the total load on the PSU is. if your actual load is more than 80%-90% (575-650 watts) of the rated capacity of the PSU (720 watts), then i would keep a close eye on the heat being put off by the PSU. a lot of PSU (even 80+ ones) see a drop in efficiency when near max load and as efficiency drops, heat rises. if heat becomes and issue, but total load is under 700 watts, then i would consider the Corsair TX750 in my sig, or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 crossfire edition. both of the PSU's achieve maximum efficiency very close to their max rated output and they are very quiet considering the amount of juice they're are throwing. the corsair has a slight advantage in that all 4 PCIe connectors are 6+2 pin and that in testing it has been shown to deliver its rated output with a input voltage as low as 110 volts (useful in places with less than ideal input source).

*edit*
the usage monitor is nifty to have aroung too...you can use it to check the impact that all of your appliances are having on your power bill. also, they can be found for pretty reasonable prices if you look around the net.

Back