• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Clock Generators - Fluctuation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I'm just curious about the CPU's clock generator. I've never really done research on it, and most pages seem to be unrelated to x86 CPUs. Is the clock generator a part of the motherboard? I've always assumed that it is a chip on the motherboard, not a part of the CPU or Northbridge. However, the CPU and NB do have a say in what it runs at, it's actually a different chip that does it.

The sudden curiosity is because I opened up an old program out of curiosity. It's called ThrottleWatch 2.0, and it basically checks to see if your CPU is throttling. When minimized, the program is still running in your menu bar, and it is giving the frequency of my CPUs. It updates in real time, at about once a second, but it may be slightly faster than that even.

So two questions.... One, does it effect anything to have a fluctuating CPU clock? I figure that a slight fluctuation is completely normal, but has anyone ever experienced anything haywire? I have seen odd things like a BIOS posting 58Ghz on a Prescott core before, but it only did it once, a fluke...I'm talking more about someone actually having a problem with their system, and has contributed it to a very "loose" clock. It's something I've never heard of, and am just curious.

Second, what do you guys have for clocks? I have the system in my sig, which is a Supermicro X5DA8 housing two Xeon(Prestonia) 3.06Ghz processors.

The program indicates a slight change every second. Typically it goes from 3065.85 to 3065.90mhz, total fluctuation. It normally only goes from something small like .88 to .87, and sometimes it even stays at .88. But it's never gone anywhere out of .84 to .90. Very small changes, especially for such a high clock speed.

Is it possible for someone else to run the program? I am curious to see how other people on Prestonia(Or the P4 Northwood) compete at a similar clock speed. I'm also curious in what the newer C2D is like, and if anyone has any server boards to compare against lower end desktop boards. I figure there will be a pattern with the lower end boards being looser than the higher end. I just want to see this since I've never seen this discussed before.

Thanks! :)

Back