• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting Reciever to sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzy0627

Hi guys I was thinking of buying a rca 700 watt surround sound system but Im not sure If I can plug it into my sound card. Most recievers have a aux output that you can plug into anything. This is what my brother is using and it works great, but this rca system does not have an aux output. It has many other ouputs cd , tape, vcr , dvd, etc... Does anyone know if you can use like the cd output to plug into your soundcard of your computer and it work ok???? I don't know anything about reciever Im not sure if the outputs are the same. Thanks Ron

why would you want to output from the reciever to the comp? recording? i'm using a pro-logic aiwa and just plug the line out of the sound card to the aux INPUT on the aiwa and get great pro-logic sound out of pos onboard sound. works wonderfully.

No, I want to output sound from my soundcard to my reciever, So I can have total surrond sound and get rid of these pc speakers. I dont have an aux input on my receiver all I have is cd, tape, dvd, etc.

I think every reciever should work. Basically mine has red and white input right?

So basically you know what goes in your speaker is a metal round thingy.

You would get the metal to the red&white thing and selecting from your reciever options it should play from there.

Mine works like that.

Ok here is my question....I know my reciever has tons of red and white inputs. Can I plug my sound card into lets say the dvd sound input on the reciever. Will I hear sound after this? Or do I need to have aux inputs on my reciever to plug my sound card into.

I JUST want to know if I can plug my sound card into any of the red/white inputs on back or do I need the AUX input ???????

Using your line-out on your sound card, hook your RCA cables to any of your inputs on the reciever (phono, cd, dvd, it doesnt matter).

Now, just use your reciever to select which input your using (phono,cd etc) and you should have sound.

Yes,

You should be able to run a line to the reciever from the comp.
Just go to radio shack and pick up a patch cable with a 1/8" stereo jack at one end and RCA stereo connectors at the other. If you don't have an aux input on the reciever you can use the cd input, it should make no difference.
(You should be able to use any of the inputs on the reciever.)
For the best possible sound I recommend getting a patch cable of a decent guage with gold connectors. Don't get the skinny cheap cable if you can avoid it.

Hope this helps.

Blue

:cool:

Technically you need either digital coaxial or an optical digital output from your soundcard and the same inputs on the reciever. This way your crappy soundcard doesnt do anything but transfer a raw digital signal for your reciever to decode. THis way you get the ULTIMATE sound for surround movies and games. I have a Hercules XP which uses coaxial digital output going into my Yamaha DSP-1 reciever/Revel speaker setup for the ultimate experience. If you have to use RCA stereo cables, I dont think you will be able to get true surround sound.

Thanks Zuck and blue thats exactly what I wanted to know.. I just had to be sure...thanks guys

You can NOT use the phono input on the reciever. That one is different from all of the others and will not work well.

flounder43 said:
You can NOT use the phono input on the reciever. That one is different from all of the others and will not work well.

It's the one I use (mainly because I'm using the others). Though you may be right, because I remember phono was used more when record players were big.

I don't notice a difference when I use phono vs cd(etc). But I am only using patch cables with a 1/8 stereo jack, so maybe it's limiting quality.

Back