• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to Purchase a 24in LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wrathre

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm interested in getting a nice 24' LCD for the system I'm currently building (listed under general hardware for those interested). This is a tough one for me, seeing as my knowledge of bigger LCD's is limited. I've been doing some research on it, and have seen numerous times over that if you want a good quality 24 for gaming, you should spend the extra cash for a well rated monitor. Most of my searches lately have led me back to the Gateway FHD2400:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113012

Usually 550 at most places, newegg has it on sale atm for 490 with free shipping (doesn't get much better then that in my opinion).

If anyone has some experience with this monitor or some general advice they can offer me on this area, I would appreciate it.

I'm going to be using this monitor for gaming via the PC and also perhaps from some of my consoles (PS3, 360); I also have a digital tuner that I'd like to hook up to it to use for general television. All the connections available on this monitor, along with from what I heard is an easy to navigate and use touch screen interface.

Thanks in advance for the responses, I'll be checking this daily for the next day or two before I purchase. I hope to have the entire system ordered by 4/1 or 4/2.

Well, Wrathre, I've been looking around for a 24 inch monitor too, and what I have read has kind of cooled my jets. While this HP is supposed to have a very good picture, $490 is a lot to spend on a TN monitor. The viewing angle is quite limited and they have lower contrast and color reproduction. I understand that they do have very fast response that is good for gamers and they are cheap to make. If these things have a dead pixel it shows up white, which can look pretty nasty. Newegg won't let you return it for a couple of dead pixels. I would suggest you find this at at an old fashioned B&M store where you can return it should you get dead pixels. I have seen it on sale at Circuit City, but right now it's the full freight at $550. While this website doesn't list your monitor, you may still find it helpful.

As for me, I think I'm going to stick with my old CRT dinosaur, but it's getting real long in the tooth.

Good luck! :beer:

R7

I had noticed that, but I also saw the 6ms response time. The Skeptre, at the same price at Costco and Tiger direct has a 2ms response time. All the same, I got the impression that Wrathre was interested in going cheap.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

I have two of these guys:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158&Tpk=benq+g2400w

The viewing angle is no problem for me at all, I can sit very far off to the side without it changing colors around. They have 3 inputs each: DVI, VGA and HDMI. You CAN switch between all three, most monitors will only do one digital input :). I don't see any ghosting and colors are very good.

Got my first one around 3 weeks ago and immediately bought a second, I absolutely recommend these monitors!

Whichever you choose, stay away from the Westinghouse no matter how temping it looks. I bought one due to the fact it has HDMI, component, composite, and VGA hookups, however less then 4 months later, there are no ever so light lines running from the top left to the bottom right, and its a pretty widespread flaw.

One of the clues with the Westy is the 1 year warranty. As a rule I'd stay away from anything that doesn't have the 3 year kind.

R7

The Sammy is also a TN, but it's one of the best ones. More importantly, that is an excellent deal. The least I have seen them sell for is $399.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

The Samsung 245BW is very good. I've had one now for several months and am highly pleased with it. Text is very sharp, contrast is good, color gamut is good, and shading is excellent. The advantage of purchasing from Costco is you can take it back if you don't like it, irrespective of pixel integrity.

It has a little backlight bleed on a black screen and it is a TN panel. Face it, you aren't getting away from the TN panel unless you are willing to spend significantly more money. Additionally, I don't see a problem with the limited viewing angle unless you frequently view your monitor display at an angle. I use my monitors right at my work station/desk so the angle of view is not an issue.

Well, I have a nice new Samsung 245BW sitting in my floor at the moment. Ordering the rest of my computer components tonight so I should have this thing up and going by the weekend if they get here on time. The monitor was only 375 after tax.

Thanks again for your opinions on this matter everyone.

Please let us know what you think of the monitor once you get a chance to use it. I recommend installing the software. Sometimes monitor software is a whole bunch hooey, but the Samsung software with the 245BW is pretty good IMO.

Well, thus far all I have done is hooked it up to my lappy to see if the monitor had any dead pixels and what not, so far nothing wrong what so ever. It's defiantly a big increase, and a nice one at that. I've ordered my new system tonight, so with some luck my parts will arrive on Friday and I can have this baby going with a pair of SLI 8800GTS G92's. Screen shots and benches will follow. I must say though, from using the Samsung on a simple vga cable, it certainly doesn't fail to impress.

Back