• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my 6750 Core Duo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodwords

Registered
I new to OCing and would like some advice if it is available. I am attempting up OC my Core Duo 6750 on and ABIT IP35-E with 2X2 Gig GSkill PC6400 Memory rated at 5-5-5-15.

I changed the clock speed in the Bios from 333 to 400, left the multiplier at 8, and increased the Vcrore voltage to 1.41v. Does this sound about right? I ran cupid and it is showing the CPU at 3.2GHZ with a bus speed at 1600. Can any one help here? And in addition, I really don't know how to mess with the memory timers and could use some advice.

Sounds like you got it to me , dont worry about timings , thats some good ram
Do some testing to see if its stable at that speed

Have you disabled SpeedStep and C1E and such? This makes it so if your computer is idle your clockspeed won't change.

Whoa, did you just bump the voltage for no reason? Did it fail to boot with stock voltage?

My E6750 runs just fine at 3.2ghz with stock voltage, and 1.4 is only needed to take it over 3.6.. Unless you got a really bad chip, you should not need anywhere near that much voltage.

As far as the memory, with a 400FSB, you just want the memory set for 1:1. I dunno anything about Abit BIOS, someone else will have to let you know on that one..

I run

at my sigged speed.. err old sig speed.....6750 at 466 FSB for 3.73ghz...

Last edited:
I agree so far. I will also say you probably dont need 1.41v to get to 3.2.

Z

I'll try 3.2ghz at 1.35v and 3.6ghz at 1.4. I'll see how my GPU fan turns up and it just won't post.

Mobo: asus p5k-r
HIS: true
CPU: suspected intel **** E6750

I'll try 3.2ghz at 1.35v and 3.6ghz at 1.4. I'll see how my GPU fan turns up and it just won't post.

HIS: true
CPU: suspected intel **** E6750

You might want to read some of the overclocking stickies here. That's really not the way you find a stable clock.

Ty. Unfortunately, I've searched google as well as this forum's overclocking stikies. Anyway ratbuddy, what temps are you getting? Perhaps pm me cause it's like hijacking.

Ok, I have it at 400x8 at the default 1.35v and it runs stable and cool. I tested it with Prime95 and my temps stay around 58deg. I left the memory timings at default but set the Bus to 1:1.

If I push it up to 400x9 or 8x450, do you think I will need to increase my core voltage? At both of those clocks, I will set my memory to 1:1, will I need to up the memory voltage for this? Any suggestions?

Abit ip35-E
E6750 Core Duo
2X2 Gskill PC6400 DDR2
MSI 9600GT
ThermalCore BT90 Cooler
Antec 900
Seagate 320GB 7200

You can't push it to 400x9. E6750 goes up to x8 and that's it. 3.6ghz for me only takes 1.35v in BIOS, I'd try that first... Stock clocks can be had around 1.25v. I'd suggest trying stock memory volts, raise the timings to 5-5-5-15 (if it's 5-5-5-15 memory, try 6-6-6-18)...

The only way to know if you'll need to raise core voltage is to try it and see. You won't hurt anything by running too little volts..

edit: To whoever asked, my temps are 35C idle, 51C load..

Hmmm...thats interesting. Okay I'm going to try 8x450 for 3.6GHZ at stock voltage. My GSKILL timings are rated at 5-5-5-15. Why would I increase the timings though? That slows my memory down doesn't it? Can I just leave my memory timings and voltage at default? I'm probably just confused here :)

Does your 6750 run stable at 3.6ghz?

Hmmm...thats interesting. Okay I'm going to try 8x450 for 3.6GHZ at stock voltage. My GSKILL timings are rated at 5-5-5-15. Why would I increase the timings though? That slows my memory down doesn't it? Can I just leave my memory timings and voltage at default? I'm probably just confused here :)

Does your 6750 run stable at 3.6ghz?

Mine runs stable at 3.8ghz+.. That doesn't mean yours will.

You want to slow your memory down when finding out what your processor will do. When you try to run 450x8, you are going to be asking your memory to run 900mhz. If it can't do it at 5-5-5-15, the system won't boot. Raising it to 6-6-6-18 raises the probability it will boot at all. If it works at 450x8 6-6-6-18, you can try lowering the memory timings..

Right on -- that makes perfect sense.

Now the real question is: 5-5-5-15 means exactly what :)

I have 9 different memory settings in my Abit Bios? Are those just the first 4 settings in the Bios and leave the rest at default?

rat buddy:

Here's my system:

E6750 @ 3.5ghz, 1.498volts stable
HS: TRUE, idle 36, load 60.
RAM: 1.9v, 873mhz, 5-5-5-15, 2X1GB

Have you disabled SpeedStep and C1E and such? This makes it so if your computer is idle your clockspeed won't change.

Why do I always see this? What's so bad about saving electricity?

If you're in an idle state, you don't need an overclock anyways.

yeah thats very true....but i noticed something when lets say for example im using internet and listening to music and what not...i wanna load a app like photoshop cs or whatever (while watching cpu-z) it takes longer for your mb to say ok let me put the multi from 6x to 8x then load adobe.....then it would for it to just load adobe....i noticed a few second slow down no more then 2 really but it still slowing down pc.... but yeah justs just IMO (in my opinion)....

i might be wrong though....

If your overclock needs more than stock voltage to be stable, then leaving those options enabled can cause instability due to voltage sags and spikes at the wrong times. Here's why:

Those two features save power and energy by changing both the multiplier and voltage provided based on CPU load. The problem becomes this: those features are reactive, not proactive. Thus, the CPU has to already be at full load for C1E to turn up the voltage and multiplier. The problem now becomes a massive voltage overshoot (spike) as the MOSFETs need to suddenly deliver significantly more power in the span of ~100us.

On stock voltage, the voltage overshoot is purposely countered by vDroop and the processors are specced to be stable and reliable during that spike. On over-stock voltage, the overshoot can become quite large, especially when combined with overclocking as the power draw becomes quite significant.

It basically boils down to this: the higher your CPU's power draw, the more possibility for damage to the processor by way of voltage overshoot when C1E decides to step in and turn up the speed.

If you want to save power, don't overclock :) If you want to overclock, don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be better off by leaving those enabled. And if you disable those features, you should also see if your motherboard supports some form of vDroop Disable (some call it loadline calibration).

Back