• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

evga 680i problem, random reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

00MJR

Ok, I've had a long streak of things going wrong with my 2nd rma'd motherboard. O, and also my 2nd rma'd ram.

About 1 month ago I had to replace my ram since it became faulty. This was after I got a new graphics card(8800gts 512) and a new cpu from a e6600 to a e8400. I got a 730w hiper psu runnings all this with 2 raptor hdd's.

My ram just became faulty again. I did have a 12hr stable overclock on prime95 for about a week and then I started to get cx00000005 errors on progs. Ex. tf2, prime95(in blend), orthos(blend).

AND if I went to run a stress test with just the cpu being stressed(small ffts) my computer would reboot randomly but in a long period of time. Like I would run orthos overnight and come back to about 6-7 hours(on orthos log) ran clean and my computer was back rebooted with nothing running on the desktop. I checked the logs and nothing showed in windows of any errors which I would expect.

Well I decided to reseat my hs's(cpu load stock at 42c(46,44 cores)) and boot with the bios clean. I went to boot. and I got a c1 error. I took one stick out it booted. I tried the other and nothing. Error once again c1. So now one of my sticks is dead.

Well I put the good stick back in and then when I went to boot into windows through the loading screen and then I would get a registry hive error about it not being able to load. So I ended up reformating.

I booted up just installed the mobo drivers to dl orthos and prime95 again.
Now running completly stock. I set the ram volts and timings to stock. I again got a random reboot 2x trying both orthos and prime95(small ffts and blend though no cx0000005 errors).

I'm trying to determine now was is killing my ram and making my computer randomly reboot?

I'm down to not enough power? PSU? 730w? enough
or
CPU is bad, though I'm able to reboot without any issue and type this whole thing. And even run orthos or prime for a good couple hours(until it randomly reboots). So I'm not thinking its the CPU.
or
A bad motherboard. It might be a combo of PSU thats killing the mobo in return killing the ram?

This is becoming a real pain in the butt. I've never in my life had so many problems with a computer before.

Well any ideas thanks or comments.

Matt R.

I know this reply is a bit late, but I registered just to reply to this post.

I've battled with this same issue of random reboots while gaming for an entire year. After trying every voltage combo possible, going through 2 different sets of RAM, 2 power supplies and testing my board in another system, I finally found a solution.

My system:
qx6850
evga 680i SLI
8GB corsair dominator RAM
2x 8800 ultra in sli
windows vista

My solution was to run nvidia gfx drivers 3 versions old. As of the time of this post, current drivers are 178.24. I can only eliminate the random reboots, completely, by running driver version 175.19. Latest drivers = insta-reboot. The previous version will reboot me within 5 - 45 minutes. 175.19 and I am completely stable.

Hope this helps someone.

Back