• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eatmyshorts7569

Well my friend called me up couple days ago and says his laptop is stuck so i drive over and all the laptop douse is scroll on the XP loading screen. So i tried going to safe mode and the same exact thing happens there. So i got his windows xp CD and tried to format it BUT when it finishes up finding the hardware and right before the format area it just says windows is starting and it gets stuck there.

Any who, any help is appreciated.

-Cheers :beer:

Well my friend called me up couple days ago and says his laptop is stuck so i drive over and all the laptop douse is scroll on the XP loading screen. So i tried going to safe mode and the same exact thing happens there. So i got his windows xp CD and tried to format it BUT when it finishes up finding the hardware and right before the format area it just says windows is starting and it gets stuck there.

Any who, any help is appreciated.

-Cheers :beer:

Did you try running the recovery consol first?

first of all let me say this is not a suggestion from a fan boy but merely a troubleshooting technique.

When I run into odd problems like that I go and get a liveCD of something (usually linux) if it boots to the desktop you can use it to back up your data as well as rule out dead hardware

if liveCDs (like ubuntu) dont work then its quite possible that something went on the computer. Possibly the hard drive has bad sectors

yah i installed Ubuntu . It formated and i could access the HDD via the live CD but once i installed Ubuntu it get stuck booting it and still gets stuck when i load the windows XP CD and try to install it.

you need to be more specific then "it got stuck"

for ubuntu there is a bug with some computers and the splash. Try turning it off and see what happens. You can also try to boot the recovery option

I didnt really mean that you should format the computer it was just supposed to be used to check the different components :D

It just gets to a black screen on Ubuntu. Thats it. It says starting then its a black screen. Thats it. Just like anything else i think its just getting stuck. When XP tried to load before format the scroll on the xp would go till the battery ran out and when i tried to format it was there for i think like 4 hours when i had it running in the back room at work and it just kept going. Ive tried about 4 different windows cds i have. it douse it on all of them.

I would love to be more specific but its just a black screen.

and no worrys about the format i had to put windows on it anyways :)

i recall someone bringing me a laptop that would absolutely refuse to boot up and when it did, it felt like a 200 mhz processor was running xp, every action was delayed by a good couple of min. even starting up from the windows cd was very long. i managed to install hd tune and after the first few sectors it was apparent that the hd had bit the dust. just for fun i took out the hd and ran the windows cd and my theory was confirmed that the hd was the culprit. of course when it got to the format screen there was not hd, but it booted the cd much faster this time around. replaced the hd with a new one and ran his recovery dvd and he was all set.

The Ubuntu black screen can be a bug I had to disable the splash screen on one of my computers and that fixes the problem.

You might try that before shelling out for a new hdd.

From the grub menu select "edit" on the ubuntu part

you should see some line of code which doesnt really matter for your understanding. Scroll to you end and you should see
Code:
ro quiet splash
delete the words quiet splash and then boot normally. The black screen booting error is common enough. As I said out of 6 Ubuntu machines I have installed I had to disable the quiet splash on 2.

Back