• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new b3's my be able to hit 3ghz+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
Last edited:
400 is a lot for amd chips, but more so because they don't overclock as high as intel, not because it's a massive performance increase.

i thought u where up around 2.6 right now. so a 400Mhz gain? not much.

yea if they will do 3.0 on stock cooler then yea I'll go for that 400mhz gain :D

btw plans on a q6600 back-up are in the making as well seeing as I have a b-day coming up shortly.

hank you get 15 k at 3.7ghz on a stock clocked 8800gt?

Well it said that he got it to 3g stable.

If they can hold 3gigs + stable on air then I may make the switch, I would also be interested to see what people can get on water.

I know that I will be waiting to see more results from OCing these.

Nice to see someone running at 3Ghz without a lot of trouble; too bad they couldn't get the 3.2Ghz stable... The temps didn't seem crazy, so I wonder if it's an FSB wall, just a CPU limitation, or if it really is heat?

Of course it's still way to early too tell what shipping B3's will do yet, but it would be interesting to put a 9850 on phase to see if it is a heat issue or a fsb wall issue or what on them. Put it on phase and the heat part of the equation goes out the window. :D

Of course it's still way to early too tell what shipping B3's will do yet, but it would be interesting to put a 9850 on phase to see if it is a heat issue or a fsb wall issue or what on them. Put it on phase and the heat part of the equation goes out the window. :D

Well, you entirely read my mind :beer: Maybe that means I'm simple minded? :eek:

I'm sure we just need to wait for a few of the crazies over at XS to get ahold of them. Here's hoping you don't need anything that catastrophic to get >3Ghz clocks out of them.

Looking at some benches it would seem that if a b3 scales well at 3ghz-3.2 without much work it would be a good buy compared to a q6600 mildly overclocked.

i didn't want to do the math but it seems like, using my best guesstement, that k10's are a few percentage points off the glorious scalling of the k8's but not enough off to dampen my efflorescent love for these preprocessors. This being said motherboard/cpu combo is still going to run you back 400$can. wich seems pretty step considering you could take a bit of a hit on the intel side and get 2 cores instead of 4 and a cheaper motherboard(i noticed a lack of cheapo/midrange am2 boards) and probably save 100-150 for similar performance

Yes Asus only has 200+$ or budget mobos for AMD while for intel there is the P5K-E for example in the middle. While I would love to grab a M3A32 wifi can't justify the price as there isn't a worthy processor for it, can't wait to see their 45nm procs.

Speaking of which, I have an M3A32 on it's way from Newegg - $170! :D

Now to find a good quad to put in it. ;) After that I'll run a few SETI output comparisons to see where this thing really stands! I just hope the M3A32 can use AMD Overdrive (or whatever they call it) ...

Last edited:
i didn't want to do the math but it seems like, using my best guesstement, that k10's are a few percentage points off the glorious scalling of the k8's but not enough off to dampen my efflorescent love for these preprocessors. This being said motherboard/cpu combo is still going to run you back 400$can. wich seems pretty step considering you could take a bit of a hit on the intel side and get 2 cores instead of 4 and a cheaper motherboard(i noticed a lack of cheapo/midrange am2 boards) and probably save 100-150 for similar performance

Only if you are particular to Asus, there are plenty of very good cheap-midrange AM2 boards from Gigabyte and Biostar in the ~$100 range.

True that you can get a board for around 100 but none come with crossfire whease intel has a wide selection of such boards, even if some are only x16 and x4 pcie slots. So for people like me who want to make that budget system i'm out of luck with amd.

True that you can get a board for around 100 but none come with crossfire whease intel has a wide selection of such boards, even if some are only x16 and x4 pcie slots. So for people like me who want to make that budget system i'm out of luck with amd.

I don't see how crossfire fits into a budget system. A nice 770 board can be had for $85, pair that with a 3870, 9600, or 8800 card and you've got a nice budget-midrange system. The only crossfire combo that even makes sense in the "budget segment" is the 3850s which for around $260 would probably outperform others in the range.

IMO, once you start talking either Crossfire or SLI, you have moved well out of the budget range anyways. 2 vid cards means a bigger, more expensive psu, better case for better ventilation and the cost of 2 separate vid cards. Plus, even if you only have 1 X16 slot, you could still use a card such as the 3870X2 or even the Nvidia 9800 GX2.

The AM2(+) AX78 from Abit supports crossfire. Dunno how it's priced in your part of the world but over here it's priced fairly low. Got it for under $100

Back