• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone help me with dos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NarcoticHoBo

I asked this on another forum and someone told me to come here so...

Do any of you know a way to copy one hard drive to another in dos? For instance C drive onto D drive.

Ok, first, do you want an exact clone of the other HD, or do you just want to copy everything over?

To make an exact image of the first hard drive, you would need a program. I have used Maxblast, when I bought a new hard drive, for example. That will copy it over, and you won't even notice everything is on a new drive.

There are lots of these programs out there...Anyone with more ideas?

Last edited:
xcopy /s /e /-n
(Try it this way first Ie: C:\>xcopy /s /e C:\*.* D:\*.*)

If the first way ends you up having an 8.3 name format then go about it with the /-n

I believe that is the command that you would need and if I am not mistaken that that /-n will set it to not use 8.3 file name format.

If the /-n doesn't work then you can always do it this way.

C:\>Copy C:\*.* D:\*.*

That should help you out.

I couldnt seem to get either of these ideas to work, and i do want to make an exact image of the first hard drive on to the second but for some reason max blast wont let me.

I have heard that Nortons "ghost" is a great program to use to make and exact image. Hope this helps.

norton ghost

yes norton ghost is the best for cloning a drive like you want to. it even works over a LAN!

you can use Ranish Partition Manager through DOS...just choose the "copy disk" option...it's the only partitioning software I use...but it doesn't support NTFS, though

Last edited:
You can also go to the HD manufacturers web site and download utilities that will let you copy a drive image (MaxBlast is the utility for Maxtor hard drives). Some of the utilities are easier to use than others if both of the hard drives are already formatted.

are you sure you did the XCOPY correct.
As the XCOPY command will and does work. I use it everyday at work....
If you need any mroe help with the xcopy, just ask

Back