• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop secruity when on wireless at public hot spot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

When I use my laptop on the campus for example. It is connected to the wireless.

How do I prevent people from entering my laptop through
My(theirs really) Network Places -> view workgroup computers -> click on my laptop icon!

?

I did this and saw a bunch of other students' laptops. Out of curious, I clicked on them. Majority of them are accessible, but there was one gave me a pop up window to ask me for password. How do I do that?

I know I could just not sharing any folders, but I'd rather make my laptop unaccessible at all on the public wireless network.

Don't share folders without changing the permissions.

Open My Computer, go to Tools and Folder Options. Second tab, scroll to the bottom and disable "Simple file sharing". If you have any shares, right click on the folder and click properties. You should now have a "Security" tab. Remove the group "everyone" and add yourself/admins.

Although, that is moot if you don't have a password on every single account on the system ;)

Second tab, scroll to the bottom and disable "Simple file sharing".

Don't have this option. My laptop is on XP Home.
83939032ym4.gif

This method seems to prevent people from accessing my shared folders, but how do I put up a password for whoever want to click on the icon of my laptop in their workgroup computers? I don't want them see any folder at all.

If you got windows home you can't disable simple file sharring. You can give some persmission, password in safemode to that folder.

By any chance you are not accessing any private information in these public hot spots?

Try this link:

LINK

Basically:

* Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Click "Properties" In Local Area Connection Box

* Under "This Connection uses the following items" highlight "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft" then choose to uninstall.

* Reboot if needed and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Try this link:

LINK

Basically:

* Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Click "Properties" In Local Area Connection Box

* Under "This Connection uses the following items" highlight "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft" then choose to uninstall.

* Reboot if needed and you should be good to go.

Is there side effect if I do this?
Does it mean I can no longer transferring files from this laptop to other computers? And not be able to use printers on the laptop?

do you have a software or hardware firewall?

all you have to do to block this is create a rule that will block inbound TCP and UDP 135 - 139 and TCP and UDP 445

if there are some computers you want to allow to do this just create a rule so they will be allowed

do you have a software or hardware firewall?

all you have to do to block this is create a rule that will block inbound TCP and UDP 135 - 139 and TCP and UDP 445

if there are some computers you want to allow to do this just create a rule so they will be allowed

No hardware firewall inside the laptop. My router has firewall but I am talking about when at a public hot spot. I hate firewall software, they are annoying. I only have Windows Firewall, and all my security settings are at the highest.

look under advanced firewall settings.... or try and google it... I am pretty sure you can create custom rules to block this traffic with windows firewall

Back