• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K Premium and the Q9450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
I have the P5K Premium and have been waiting on the Q9450 to come out. Just recently I've noticed on the Asus Forum that people are having problems with this cpu on the P5K board.They are saying it has to do with the stepping , that when Intel announced the new Qxxxx series they were to be a C0 stepping but when released they are actual a C1. Having seen this info I was wondering if anyone here was using the Q9450 and the P5K board that could ease my my on buying this cpu ? Or do you think I'd be better off with a Q6700 that I can get for 299 at Clubit.com. Thanks for your info and help.

yes the c1 is not supported you have to push f1 to inter bios or f2 to load defualts at boot the p5k p needs a new bios but it works ok just give that message at boot you could call asus and ask for a new bios
Rich

I was using an X3350 (same as the Q9450) and when it boots it says "unknown CPU detected, flash to the latest bios to unleash its full potential"

By pressing F1 you can still get to windows and everything works fine. It is just a message the bios puts up that really doen't mean anything other than the CPU is not recognized by the bios. Asus will release a bios to address this problem but in the mean time everything works fine, overclocking and all. It just an annoyance for now.

Does any one know if there is a big difference between OEM vs Retail on the Q9450? At the moment all I can find is OEM . Please help would like to order asap.

Does any one know if there is a big difference between OEM vs Retail on the Q9450? At the moment all I can find is OEM . Please help would like to order asap.

Yes, quite a difference -- the retail box is considerably heavier than the OEM tray. That is of course because the retail comes with a heatsink and the OEM does not. :beer:

Oh, and the retail processor has another two years of warranty above the one-year warranty on the OEM unit. If you plan to overclock, the warranty won't matter as you'll void it as soon as you type the faster FSB into your bios.

LOL, I'll definitely buy the OEM then as I'm not as strong as I use to be and since I'll be overclocking then the oem should be fine I guess. Thanks for the input and if you have any other suggestions please advise.:beer:

Back