• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$40 Xbox??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaredavidporter

One of the guys in my dorm is thinking about selling me his Xbox for $40-50(without a controller or any attachments). I was wondering if anyone still plays Halo 2 for Xbox live anymore.. if not then I doubt I will be buying it.

Jared

I'll try to bargain with him. What price should I have in mind?

You can get a used Xbox from Gamestop for like $50. If it's not on sale then $59.99. That's with everything it's supposed to come with.

Although I don't know why you'd WANT one. Why not spend a little more and get a DS or PSP? Newer games... a hundred times lighter and a million times less ugly.

I'm not a big fan of portables.. if I were to get a new game system it would be a Wii or a 360. The reason I'm wanting to buy it is so we could get some halo tournaments going on around the campus and Xbox live for when i come home for the summer (that is if anyone plays it still)

Save up for a 360 unless you plan on pimping the Xbox into a mediacenter or something. You'll still be able to play Halo 1-3 on the 360....

The 360's are kind of pricey but I could try and save up for one (it will be a long time before I build a new PC). I'll try to get him to sell it to me for $20 which isn't that much really so It's not like I'm wasting it.

You could always mod the crap out of it.
Maybe HTPC use as well?
I feel dumb for asking this but what's and HTPC. lol.

no actually, the original xbox is extremely easy to mod.

I would agree that 40 is a bad deal. I would also be curious as to why it doesnt have any hookups. I would suspect it is stolen, but I don't have any proof of that.

After buying hook ups and a controller it is definatly not worth it. You can probalby pick up one with a controller and hookups for $50. or maybe spend a few bucks more and get one with a few games too.

also, hookups and controllers may be hard to find as most places don't sell them anymore.

if you want the original xbox, try looking for a used one on Ebay. Not sure if that is worth the $ with no controllers and attachment.

Ebay or classifieds. I really should put my old Xbox up for sale.

IMO wihtout the controlers and stuff its useless. I mean you'll be paying another $50 for a controller and hookups at least. There's deals out there, jump on one of them.

I think I'm just going to save up for one of the newer consoles. How is the online game play for the PS3 (sorry if I'm going to far off subject)

I think I'm just going to save up for one of the newer consoles. How is the online game play for the PS3 (sorry if I'm going to far off subject)

The online gameplay is great for both the 360 and the PS3 (Wii's sucks), however the PS3 online store/expansions is pretty bare where the 360s is packed with stuff.

I agree, buying the connections and controller will cost you about $50 at least.

I got a refurb Xbox 360 at Microcenter for $199 a while back. It came with a 20gb hd and wireless controller.

The online gameplay is great for both the 360 and the PS3 (Wii's sucks), however the PS3 online store/expansions is pretty bare where the 360s is packed with stuff.

It should be noted that the 360 has REALLY slowed down with Xbox Live arcade. I'm tremendously disappointed. Obviously there's NO CONTEST in terms of video content (Xbox Live probably has twenty times as much)... but in terms of games I'd argue PSN has superior content.

(Street Fighter 2 turbo is pretty good on Live, but has SERIOUS lag issues compared to Mortal Kombat II on PSN. Also Live doesn't have anything to equal Tekken Dark Ressurection Online for the PSN.)

Currently Live is a superior choice in simple terms of player matching, interface, whatever... but they'll probably be even soon. (Live Marketplace is better right now... but they're changing the Playstation store right now so they'll be roughly the same. In game XMB and custom soundtracks are coming in the next couple of months as well.)

Biggest difference really is that PSN is free. Other than that Burnout, and COD4, and all the other games with online play will function more or less the same.

But take Fudge's advice: If you're into online gaming stay THE HELL AWAY from the Wii.

I think I'm leaning more towards the 360 just for Halo 3, CoD4, and Crysis (if they even have that for the 360). It's also a lot cheaper than the PS3. I am a huge fan of MGS series though :(

Crysis is only on PC. COD4 is on both xbox360, ps3, and PC.

Not sure how is 360 much cheaper than the ps3. Of course, if you don't care about blu-ray, then it is a wasted perk that is offered on PS3. You can get the arcade version of the 360 for $250, but it does not have any harddrive in it. If you get the premium $299version, it has a smaller hd at 20Gb compare to 40Gb for the ps3. Wireless is standard on PS3, but you have to buy an additional attachment for wireless for the 360. I'm not sure how much it cost for that attachment. Of course, just like the bluray, if you dont care for wireless and will jsut use hard wire ethernet cable, that is another wasted perk offered on PS3. Finally, you have to pay for Xbox Live indefinitely, which cost $50 a year, every year as long as you want xbox live, or until MS say it's free. Or you can go shop around and get xbox live for $38 a year. This is the cost you have to add on top of the price you pay for your console. So, as I was saying, i'm not sure if I agree with you that xbox is cheaper.

Back