• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RPM Wire on fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenocide

Hey guys I have a mobo that won't boot unless the system fan is sensed at a certain RPM (or you hit F2) It is a server, so I need it to boot back up incase of power failure.

How do these wires work? I don't have a fan to test it with? Do just need to put an adjustable pot on the sense line and play with it? What value pot should i grab?

Thanks.

Hey guys I have a mobo that won't boot unless the system fan is sensed at a certain RPM (or you hit F2) It is a server, so I need it to boot back up incase of power failure.

How do these wires work? I don't have a fan to test it with? Do just need to put an adjustable pot on the sense line and play with it? What value pot should i grab?

Thanks.

pretty sure it sends out electrical pulses but dont quote me on that.... can you not set in the bios to just disgard all errors?

HP proprietary bios

pretty sure it sends out electrical pulses but dont quote me on that.... can you not set in the bios to just disgard all errors?

Ill see if i can find one and hook it up to an O-scope i guess...I guess i can make some kinda pulse generator.

How do these wires work?

Every half-rotation of the fan, the RPM wire pulses. On a normally-wired fan, it pulses at 12v. On a fan running at 5v, it pulses at 5v, etc.

Its natural voltage is that of the ground wire. Hence a fan set with the 7v fan mod (i,e, 12v line at 12v, "ground" line at 5v) will pulse at 12v and sit at 5v. Connecting it to an RPM sensor (like on a motherboard) will give it permanent 5v with 12v pulse, rather than 0v ground with 12v pulse. So don't do that ;)

I'm tempted to say it's a very very fast momentary switch but don't quote me on that, there might be a certain in-built resistance/capacitance...

Have you tried grounding the tach lead just to see what it'll do?

edit: At the header, that is. Dell used to do this for mobos that have tach requirements, so it might work here too.

Every half-rotation of the fan, the RPM wire pulses. On a normally-wired fan, it pulses at 12v. On a fan running at 5v, it pulses at 5v, etc.

Its natural voltage is that of the ground wire. Hence a fan set with the 7v fan mod (i,e, 12v line at 12v, "ground" line at 5v) will pulse at 12v and sit at 5v. Connecting it to an RPM sensor (like on a motherboard) will give it permanent 5v with 12v pulse, rather than 0v ground with 12v pulse. So don't do that ;)

I'm tempted to say it's a very very fast momentary switch but don't quote me on that, there might be a certain in-built resistance/capacitance...

so why can't i just pulse from 5 to 12...???

Back