Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Lens for night photography?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-02-08, 04:42 PM Thread Starter   #1
DerekDRP
Disabled

Lens for night photography?

Hye gang since I'm going to take my Rebel xti to Florida and take some night time photo's, I want to know what type of lens I should pick out?

What I want to do is to take my xti and walk around very dark buildings with out the use of a tripod.

So I beg you guys to help me decide which route I want to go.

And yes I will have $500 to spend on a lens ( and my music gear is offifent until I start gigging.
DerekDRP is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 04:50 PM   #2
Albaholic

10 Year Badge

A nice prime lens should work fine. I'd think the 50mm f/1.4 is nice but a little tight. I'm not up to speed on Canon lenses. I'm sure other people will chime in soon.

Old 04-02-08, 04:53 PM Thread Starter   #3
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaholic View Post
A nice prime lens should work fine. I'd think the 50mm f/1.4 is nice but a little tight. I'm not up to speed on Canon lenses. I'm sure other people will chime in soon.
Ok remember these buildings will be very dark and not very good lighting.
Old 04-02-08, 04:56 PM   #4
Albaholic

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDRP View Post
Ok remember these buildings will be very dark and not very good lighting.
Which is why wider apertures will help. Hope you find something that works for you

Old 04-02-08, 04:57 PM Thread Starter   #5
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaholic View Post
Which is why wider apertures will help. Hope you find something that works for you
What about the 580 speedlite flash mate?

I've also mentioned that I don't want to use a tripod by the way.
Old 04-02-08, 05:19 PM   #6
Albaholic

10 Year Badge

A nice flash will help in certain situations but that depends on what you are trying to take pictures of.

Old 04-02-08, 05:38 PM   #7
turd

10 Year Badge

I gotta say I would recommend the superb Canon 28-135 IS. I have had this for years and it is one of my favorites and I also own L glass. Its not that fast or wide but if you need a great all around travel liens this, IMHO, is the one. Lots of reviews around on this lens.

I have shot in some low light where flash was not allowed and have some fine results.

Here is one review.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_28135_35
turd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 05:40 PM Thread Starter   #8
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
I gotta say I would recommend the superb Canon 28-135 IS. I have had this for years and it is one of my favorites and I also own L glass. Its not that fast or wide but if you need a great all around travel liens this, IMHO, is the one. Lots of reviews on this lens here is one.

I have shot in some low light where flash was not allowed and have some fine results.

Here is one review.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_28135_35
Ok because I'm going to shoot some grave stones and it's going to be very dark there.
Old 04-02-08, 05:42 PM   #9
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

just as fast lense really (f-stop 2.8 or lower would be good), just means possible lower ISO and faster shutter speeds so less blur, my canon 18-75 IS is not great in low light however my Tokina macro 100mm lense kicks some butt.

tripod will help too, a nice flash wuill help, you dont need a 580 if your not a pro, the 430 will do just fine for less, or look into sigma i recall, they have good flashes too, and with flashes, DO NOT point it right at the person / thing - try to bounce it off of things to get bertter over all lighting instead of deer caught in your headlights look.

Now when you say walk around dark buildings?

as in take pics of them? or just walk around, with out a tripod in low light, all your pics will be blurry unless you can stand perfectly still for 1-30 seconds solid with out moving even slightly...

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 05:44 PM Thread Starter   #10
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
as in take pics of them? or just walk around, with out a tripod in low light, all your pics will be blurry unless you can stand perfectly still for 1-30 seconds solid with out moving even slightly...
And yes this is what I mean, I need to be able to get my xti like act as a lil pNs ( point and shoot ).

Thank you guys I'll take a look at the lens but remember I can't use a tripod and I'll be walking around gravestones.
Old 04-02-08, 07:03 PM   #11
theELVISCERATOR

why couldnt you use one of those tiny tripods?

Low light equals long exposure times...no getting around it really..you can only mitigate the effects unless you like green photos...(niteshot)..

Galaxy Winforce GTX670 @1215/3404 SLI
Xfi Fatality Pro Sound
Boot /Adata SX900 256gb SSD
Storage/ 2x 640GB WDAAK Raid 0
Antec 1200/Corsair 750 TX PSU / Win7 Pro 64bit
Yamakasi 30" IPS 2560x1600

theELVISCERATOR is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 07:09 PM   #12
hafaphoto

10 Year Badge

How does your current setup work in a dark room with the flash? My Nikon point and shoot camera will take pictures (with the flash) in a dark room. Long exposure gives a different look/feel, depends on what you want.

E

Old 04-02-08, 07:24 PM Thread Starter   #13
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafaphoto View Post
How does your current setup work in a dark room with the flash? My Nikon point and shoot camera will take pictures (with the flash) in a dark room. Long exposure gives a different look/feel, depends on what you want.

E
Long really and I'm still learning night time photography.

And I want to be able to go around the graveyard taking photo's with ou the use of a tripod, If I have to get a flash or a a very good lens but my limit is $550 do to the trip and I will only be able to buy it around September.
Old 04-02-08, 07:31 PM Thread Starter   #14
DerekDRP
Disabled

Should I go this route?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186005933003

Since I'll be walking around in pitch black? and it's the same price as a flash or another lens.

but I need some major help.

Malpine and Fudgeman are always good in helping me with music and games but now I'll need help with camera gear.
Old 04-02-08, 07:39 PM   #15
masakabassist

Whats with the aversion to the tripod?

Dual Booting Ubuntu and XP
Asus M2N32 WS Pro :drool:
AMD X2 4200 (OC'd 2856MHz @ 1.4V)
2GB Corsair PC5300 RAM (4X512MB)
XFX 8800GTS 320Mb
FSP 500W Bluestorm II PSU
160GB WD SATAII Hard Drive

F@H masakabassist Heat: masakabassist
masakabassist is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 07:44 PM Thread Starter   #16
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakabassist View Post
Whats with the aversion to the tripod?
Well just encase I need to run :P I don't want to lug a heavy tripod around just encase in the cops tells me to leave.

Also if I see something cool happening and its about 10 feet away I can turn around and click instead of lift the tripod and then walk over set down the tripod focus again and then take a shoot.
Old 04-02-08, 08:43 PM   #17
hafaphoto

10 Year Badge

Unless stuff has really changed in photography since I was doing a lot of it, what you are asking for is impossible. Long exposure without a tripod = blurry mess. You can get an inexpensive lightweight tripod you can pick up and run with in seconds.

Long exposure shots do not lend themselves to sudden events. You might consider a lightweight tripod for your long exposure, and a decent point and shoot for sudden happenings. You can get both for a lot less than $500. A flash you can fire while hand held can be fun with long exposure shooting.

And if the cops show up, don't run! Tell them what you are doing, and they will most likely ask you to leave or leave you alone.

Why not practice in your backyard at night and see how you do?

E

Old 04-02-08, 08:45 PM Thread Starter   #18
DerekDRP
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafaphoto View Post
Unless stuff has really changed in photography since I was doing a lot of it, what you are asking for is impossible. Long exposure without a tripod = blurry mess. You can get an inexpensive lightweight tripod you can pick up and run with in seconds.

Long exposure shots do not lend themselves to sudden events. You might consider a lightweight tripod for your long exposure, and a decent point and shoot for sudden happenings. You can get both for a lot less than $500. A flash you can fire while hand held can be fun with long exposure shooting.

And if the cops show up, don't run! Tell them what you are doing, and they will most likely ask you to leave or leave you alone.

Why not practice in your backyard at night and see how you do?

E
Good idea on the cop topic, and I can do night photography but some.

I have a star thread that showcases my work with the stars.
Old 04-02-08, 09:02 PM   #19
hafaphoto

10 Year Badge

I have seen your other thread. I assumed you shot with a tripod or with a camera on the telescope. If you have not been using a tripod for night shots, I highly recomend you try it!

I assume you are going to be shooting on the ground in a graveyard, a bit different than shooting up while hand holding the camera. You may need several seconds or more to get a landscape picture to look good. I used to do stuff keeping the shutter open for a few mins, or a few seconds using a handheld flash to 'paint' the area. Lots of fun. I did this with a film camera, have not done much long exposure stuff since I went digital.

E

Old 04-02-08, 11:00 PM   #20
IAmMoen

When it is that dark you have a few options: HUGE aperature ($550 probably won't cut it), 3200 or 6400 iso (unless you have a canon 1ds markIII you are pretty much out of luck for that), a tripod (you said you don't want one), or a flash (imho probably the easiest way to get caught by the cops and will also ruin your night vision if you look at the scene while you take the picture but that is easily remedied by closing your eyes).

The first two options are just flat out because of money and to be honest with how dark I am assuming it is going to be out there you would probably need both of those options in tandem. So it is either a tripod or a flash. Honestly I would go with the tripod for what it gives in the picture department ie colors and natural lighting, but if you go with a flash I would get a 430 and get some sort of switch for it so that you can put it on its little stand and set it somewhere away from you and then take the picture (which is kind of the same idea as bouncing it off except for area of the the light source for the picture e.g. an entire wall being lit up to offer the light versus a tiny point of light from the flash filament.) Which again brings me back to the thought that a flash is horrible for a person trying to stay away from the cops.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.