• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The official Yorkfield critisism thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kittyhawk

Registered
Post all critisisms of Intel's latest 45nm quad core CPUs here!

eg) why the Q6600 is still a better buy than Yorkfield, CPU prices, etc.

And please refrain from incivility and flamming :beer:

Last edited:
Lower FSB wall

I would stick with Q6600 for now, but I dont mind staying behind the bleeding edge if it means saving a lot of money and its only a small percentage of difference :)

hah hah i beat thid!

The only thing bad about my processor was the cost. Otherwise this is an insane processor :)

Hell, it only hurts for a few months! :D

Like Thiddy, I think this unlocked Yorkfield is awesome. I'm not big into benching like Thiddy, but this QX running at only 3700 MHz is among the top 40 Seti crunchers in the entire world! Along with a few other QX 9650's and 1 QX9770, they are the only single processor boxes in the top 40 in Seti production. The rest are dual proc, quad core machines. And that's a pretty impressive stat I think.

-locked multi
-8x multi
-1333 mhz FSB
-ONLY beats q6600 by 5% clock for clock
-ONLY has 12M cache

The FSB wall is about the only thing I can be pessimistic about.

Doing 455FSB (3.64Ghz) at 1.2375 (stock) volts is insane; show me any other 65nm quad that can do this. And I have hope that I can get my BIOS modified sufficiently to get it running even faster...

I had never heard of an FSB wall on Yorkfield. The amount of retail skus out there is really limited (especially 9x50 12M variants) so I guess I havent had the chance to do much testing. However I did notice when testing an X3320 that the FSB would go nowhere near as high (450ish) as my E8500 (500+). My 9650 was nice and I am hoping 9770 will be even better.
There is no disadvantage as far as I am concerned. The price thing is true to a certain extent, but just consider yourself lucky that the Q6600 is so cheap! :) This is down to Intel crushing AMD margins (when Q6600 drops so does the whole Phenom lineup).
Q9450 and 9550 will waterfall in price soon enough :)
Anyway dual X5470 Xeons in a skulltrail with 1600FSB selected is where its at IMO :) I have 5460s at 3.8 atm and looking forward to 5470s :) Shame I dont run SETI any more as the electricity bills were killing me....

I had never heard of an FSB wall on Yorkfield. The amount of retail skus out there is really limited (especially 9x50 12M variants) so I guess I havent had the chance to do much testing. However I did notice when testing an X3320 that the FSB would go nowhere near as high (450ish) as my E8500 (500+). My 9650 was nice and I am hoping 9770 will be even better.
There is no disadvantage as far as I am concerned. The price thing is true to a certain extent, but just consider yourself lucky that the Q6600 is so cheap! :) This is down to Intel crushing AMD margins (when Q6600 drops so does the whole Phenom lineup).
Q9450 and 9550 will waterfall in price soon enough :)
Anyway dual X5470 Xeons in a skulltrail with 1600FSB selected is where its at IMO :) I have 5460s at 3.8 atm and looking forward to 5470s :) Shame I dont run SETI any more as the electricity bills were killing me....

you can run xeons in a skulltrail?

I know, I'm waiting until Intel has a chip with 12Gb of cache :beer:

OOOOOOOoooh yes yes, now you're talkin a real CPU! Unfortunately it looks like the next big thing is the Atom; presumably followed by the Nucleus and then the Quark all held together with Glue no doubt. :eek:

OOOOOOOoooh yes yes, now you're talkin a real CPU! Unfortunately it looks like the next big thing is the Atom; presumably followed by the Nucleus and then the Quark all held together with Glue no doubt. :eek:

Yes yes . . . so when do these quantum chips go on preorder? :beer:

Will quantum chips come in dual-core, or will it depend on whether or not you're looking at it? ;)

since intel owns the quad market right now they have decided to act in this fashion.
1333fsb and 8 multi for $350 is just dumb, what are the chances of a 4ghz chip unless you shell out the cash ? they know this... this is the same hand nvidia is playing with the g92 and the 9800gtx regurgitation. I hope r770 cleans the floor with them. As far as quads go intel lost me on this one, I have no need for a quad but if they had a 1333 chip with 10 multi for $300 i would jump on it for sure. q6700 anyone ?

since intel owns the quad market right now they have decided to act in this fashion.
1333fsb and 8 multi for $350 is just dumb, what are the chances of a 4ghz chip unless you shell out the cash ? they know this... this is the same hand nvidia is playing with the g92 and the 9800gtx regurgitation. I hope r770 cleans the floor with them. As far as quads go intel lost me on this one, I have no need for a quad but if they had a 1333 chip with 10 multi for $300 i would jump on it for sure. q6700 anyone ?

The price of moving to a 45nm process is incorporated into the new yorkfields. Once they produce most of their stuff on the 45nm process, which will be soon, prices on them will come down a lot.

If you want the newest and best, you're paying for it. While I agree that it's not worth it atm, you can't call Intel dumb. Moving to a new process node is expensive...

Hey guys i just bought a QX9650, and i use a Termalright Ultra 120mm 150cfm fan, and overclocked at 3.8ghz (9x425) temps are running at
68C

on full using core temp

is that too high ?

i check the thermal paste and its alright. (Arctic silver 5)

Hey guys i just bought a QX9650, and i use a Termalright Ultra 120mm 150cfm fan, and overclocked at 3.8ghz (9x425) temps are running at
68C

on full using core temp

is that too high ?

i check the thermal paste and its alright. (Arctic silver 5)
Yes, that is too high

I run mine at 4.0 with the same cooler and I hit 54c load. What do you have set for the volts?

Back