• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No thumbnails on .avi files (vista 64x)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tiando

Registered
I need some help with showing thumbnails for my .avi files.
I've installed this vista 64x on 2 computers and they have the same problem.
I dont have the problem with other media files and I've also looked inside the register and havent found a solution.
Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you have to have the right codec installed for the thumbnail to show up. K-Lite codec pack works for me on my vista system.

conway is correct. Be sure to check that the "thumbnails" box is checked for the .avi file option when installing the k-kite codec pack. (although I'm pretty sure the box is checked automatically)

I've tried that before and tried it again but it didnt work, I also tried the vista codec pack.

The option while installing K-lite codec pack for generating a thumbnail is only for other filetypes like .mp4 .flv and a few others, no .avi.

I've had no problem with this in vista 32 bit though.

Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View tab | Make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked, then change the View to Large Icons.

Last edited:
Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View tab | Make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked, then change the View to Large Icons.

That was the first thing I was looking at, But it still aint working. I have maps with kind of files with .avi .wmv and .mpg. The only files not showing a thumbnail is the .avi file.

At first I indeed thought it was nero 7. but when I tried a clean vista install on my other computer I had the same problem.

I still tried this registery fix. but it said that not all data was written because some keys are open by the system or other processes. Will I be able to do this in save mode or something?

Edit: trying this in save mode didnt help. but just adding this reg fix worked for a bit part. It now shows thumbnails except every thumbnail is black now.

Last edited:
vista

Guys nothing of the above really works...

Ok tried all methods on existence....registry fixes, new codecs...bla bla

This is the way i found to fix it...

1) Re install VISTA ULTIMATE 32 - avi thumbs not showing on default clean install

2) Installed SP1 - avi thumbs stil not showing

3) Installed NO CODECS...Just Crystal Player - - avi thumbs stil not showing

4) Opened one of the thumbs that was not showing and Crystal asked me to dld an avi codec, so he dld a codec pack from his own server

5) Voilá...Everythings showing and not even 1 missing...

It was a really codec matter...Worst thing is that Vista doesn's show some codecs with a new install so you start puting codec packages and that's where the mess starts...

Cheers
Sergio

Same problem here.

FFDshow did not solve this problem for me, and in fact caused my FRAPS program to crash. (As well as making all movie software crash that used a video made by FRAPs)

I'm having a hard time understanding how the OS can play the .avi file, but somehow not make a thumbnail for it... How could that be a codec issue?

I've had similar issues with files over 2Gb, even if they don't use .avi

I don't have this issue with my XP box...

Grab MediaInfo and run it against these avi files. I'd like to know what kind of streams are actually in them if they are giving this much trouble.

Thread Revival!

Here's what I figured out: Some AVI files will self-corrupt at 2 to 3 gigs. As long as I kept the file below 2 gigs, no problems. (These are the fraps avi's)

I also figured out that another avi format used by VideoWave 8.0 isnt' fully compatible with Vista's Media Center. It will play it, but you can't edit it using Windows Movie Maker, and it won't thumbnail in vista.

XP's media player has no problem with any format I've tried, it thumbnails all of them, and if not, you can use a codec pack like FFD show without problems.

I would run those streams for you, but I've since either converted or disposed of the faulty clips on my vista machine.

This is what I've come up with. I dont think the media codec wont mather for this.

Video streams I dont get a thumbnail for:
MPEG-4 Visual (XviD) and (DivX 5)
Fraps

Almost all of these are made with VirtualDubMod. but 1 or 2 are made with other programs and they are also not working.

Thumbnails are working on:
MPEG Video
VC-1 (WMV3)

Back