• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux with no video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Here I go again!

I have my two linux boxes (RedHat 7.2) up, running and crunching away.
I am currently using VNC for remote operation/administration.

I understand that its possible to run linux without a video card installed: how can I set this up?
(I'd like to be able to reclaim the video cards for use in other pcs!)

If you find out, let me know because my video card is not supported, duh, I have the EXOTIC Radeon VE...

Most new boards will run fine without a video card.

Firstly, you are obviously gonna need the card in there to install the OS. Once you've got it all installed, you can pull it, throw the box in the corner, and admin it remotely. Thats all there is to it.

If you have X Windows set to startup automatically, though, it will fail, because the card won't be there to initialize. I've heard of people setting up a dedicated X Windows session that just runs VNC, doesn't bother to init a video card, but I'd rather use a remote console myself. What happens from here pretty much goes hand in hand with that other thread about remote admin.

I haven't figured out how to get VNC running at startup yet: in fact, I can't get it to run automatically. After I get remote admin services setup my next project on this will be getting rid of the gui at boot.

So once again, I will be looking through online documentation and man files, but if anyone knows how I can get VNC running automatically at boot (before login) thats my first step. (I think!)

/etc/rc.d/rc.local, or /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local, or something like that?

Why do you want VNC again? So you can use GNOME or KDE across the network connection, just to open up some terminals to get real work done?

PS: /etc/inittab is where you control whether X runs on bootup.

VNC isn't really required, I'm just familiar with it.
What I am looking for is a way, ANY way (easiest possible) to monitor the computers and running apps with a gui over the network.

Problem I have when I read man pages, or other docs, is that they always assume I already know what I'm doing.....! It takes me a while. Any easier ways, or links to documentation that even I can understand will help. And the sooner I get everything set the way I am looking for the sooner I can leave you guys alone a while!:D

Maybe find the remote X howto and look at it... should tell you how to run the GUI monitoring apps and have them display on your local X desktop.

XWRed1 said:
Maybe find the remote X howto and look at it... should tell you how to run the GUI monitoring apps and have them display on your local X desktop.

Still reading documentation, but I think that is going to be the sticking point: the machine(s) I use to administer everything run one or another MS os.

If I can telnet in and start an X session with windows.......?

You would need to have an X Server on your Windows box, like XWin32.

Set the system up with an old junk vid card a pci card will do fine. You can even get some new cards dirt cheap so why try to make do without one? When you get the machine set up and running just lose the monitor.

Back