• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8500 In stock at Tigerdirect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't even look at the E8500's (OEM at least) unless they were sub 240. Especially after I picked up my E8400-OEM for 189.99 from the egg a few days back.

when something is selling for more than MSRP, it is hard to call it a deal.
I understand that they are hard to find, but in a few weeks, they will probably be available all over the place.

When no one else has teh E8400, except for ZZF at $260, did we call that a deal?

While I can undestand sharing the news that they are availablle and since I don't know of where else to post this besides perhaps the CPU section, it might as well be here.

Std disclosure: typing from a hospital bed wtih the TV as the monitor...I can't hardly read typos, so sorry in advance if this is hard to read.

Yeh.. The fact that these were in stock was posted about a week ago, hell, it's even in Tigers last promo email. No deal..

when something is selling for more than MSRP...

MSRP? Find the document from Intel showing an MSRP, I'd love to see it ;)

(99.99% likely you are referring to the oft cited prices posted online, which are for 1,000 quantity orders of OEM/TRAY chips, directly from Intel... i.e. NOT MSRP for retail boxed chips)

Good point and I stand corrected for using the wrong terminology, but I remain convinced that my assessment of the underlying situation is still valid.

What I should have stated was that as a general rule, retail processors, once they get past the initial "got to be first on the block to have it" craze, usually sell for very little over the price that is "oft cited prices posted online, which are for 1,000 quantity orders of OEM/TRAY chips, directly from Intel".

The initial sub $200 prices for the retail E8400s from Microcenter and the $199 prices for the E3110s from Buy-Com were representatives of that typical pricing. The jump to $260 to $280 or so at places like ZZF after they started selling like hot cakes was also typical of resellers adjusting for product shortages...but the fact that they had them in stock at those prices hardly justified them being called "deals".

The retail E8400 is now sub $210 at numerous places, including ClubIT...indications that the supply line is catching up with the demand.

Again, I just can't call the OEM E8500 a "deal" at $290+ and that pricing from TD for OEM parts are not prices that will hold up when the supply line is filled.

So, yes, while I erred in my use of the term "MSRP" when referring to these product...I do not believe that I erred in my assessment of the support for that pricing.

Good point and I stand corrected for using the wrong terminology, but I remain convinced that my assessment of the underlying situation is still valid.

What I should have stated was that as a general rule, retail processors, once they get past the initial "got to be first on the block to have it" craze, usually sell for very little over the price that is "oft cited prices posted online, which are for 1,000 quantity orders of OEM/TRAY chips, directly from Intel".

The initial sub $200 prices for the retail E8400s from Microcenter and the $199 prices for the E3110s from Buy-Com were representatives of that typical pricing. The jump to $260 to $280 or so at places like ZZF after they started selling like hot cakes was also typical of resellers adjusting for product shortages...but the fact that they had them in stock at those prices hardly justified them being called "deals".

The retail E8400 is now sub $210 at numerous places, including ClubIT...indications that the supply line is catching up with the demand.

Again, I just can't call the OEM E8500 a "deal" at $290+ and that pricing from TD for OEM parts are not prices that will hold up when the supply line is filled.

So, yes, while I erred in my use of the term "MSRP" when referring to these product...I do not believe that I erred in my assessment of the support for that pricing.

Oh you're definitely correct about that - many of the big stores sell CPUs at a loss to bring in other business. Pricing generally does settle down to at/near the posted prices from Intel. I just like to make known that those prices aren't MSRP, so that people don't scream "GOUGERS!" every time they see prices that are higher :D

Back