• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: To Buy New or Not to Buy New...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joe2000gt

I was thinking of spending my nice stimulus check from Uncle Sam on a PS3... Been wanting one for a while and I figure now is the time to do it (although my fiance thinks the check should go towards the wedding, but what the hell does she know? :beer:)

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether I should get a new PS3 or get a preowned one and put the money I save into games/accessories/etc...

Sorry guys... It didnt give me an option to post a poll...

Get a new one unless you really want full compatability with PS2 games. Used consoles make me nervous. I have a 60GB and I love it. It' a great Blu-Ray player and there are more and more good games coming out for it. It's a great time to buy a PS3!

Aye new for at least the PS3 for the coolness factor, and even for a X360 just because of the newer unit itself, unless u get a killer deal, NEW for these 2 consoles.

If you can, check a few local gamestops until you find a used 60GB (if BC is your thing). Make buddy-buddy with the sales clerk, tell him you'll preorder something if he hooks you up with some kind of discount, they usually have *some* kind of coupon to help you in some way. Anyways, buy it used, and buy the 1 year warranty along with it for $50.

Or, if you really want a fat discount, and you have a good friend at GS/EBGames, they can buy the used system (which they can use their employee discount for), and you can give them money for it later. You'll save 10%, so around $40.

Yeah, the 80s are gone until around June when it will be bundled with MGS4 as well as a DualShock 3. I would wait for that if you can.

Wait for the MGS4 80Gb with Dualshock 3 version.

By the way, the stimulus check of $600 is not free money. The US government didn't print that money out of thin air. It's actually an advance from next years tax refund. Just an FYI.......

Step 1) Buy New 40GB PSTriple
Step 2) Buy New 250GB Hard Drive from Newegg
Step 3) Install 250GB HD into PSTriple (It's easy!)
Step 4) ?????
Step 5) PROFIT!

Step 1) Buy New 40GB PSTriple
Step 2) Buy New 250GB Hard Drive from Newegg
Step 3) Install 250GB HD into PSTriple (It's easy!)
Step 4) ?????
Step 5) PROFIT!

It's a good idea, but for the extra hundred dollars, you are not just paying for the extra 40gb hd space. You are also getting a little few more options.

1. extra USB ports
2. limited backwards compability to PS2 games
3. memory card reader slots
4. SACD compatibility (only with HDMI cable)

It's a good idea, but for the extra hundred dollars, you are not just paying for the extra 40gb hd space. You are also getting a little few more options.

1. extra USB ports
2. limited backwards compability to PS2 games
3. memory card reader slots
4. SACD compatibility (only with HDMI cable)

Yeah, this is my dilemma... My 65" tv does not have HDMI unfortunately so it will be hooked up w. component video and optical sound. (if available..?) I have a ton of PS2 games that I'm not sure I want to get rid of so BC could go either way... memory card reader is no big deal, i have a USB 2.0 HDD.... The usb ports would be nice how many extra are there?

been thinking about the same thing
from what i read the 40 GB thats out now runs alot cooler then the previous models because of smaller chipset

Plus you can use Best Buys Reward Zone discount and get 10% off
so you can get a new ps3 for $360 :santa:

and a USB 2.0 hub only costs @$10 so no need to worry about 2 lost usb ports

The USB is no biggie. But that has to depend on the individual. Those extra ports do come in handy sometimes.

If you don't have HDMI then you may be stuck in the same boat as me. Any game that I get that is not 1080p/1080i native gets downscaled to 480p and looks like a PS2 game. PS2, PS1 and BlueRay stuff will still display fine in 1080i.

If you don't have HDMI then you may be stuck in the same boat as me. Any game that I get that is not 1080p/1080i native gets downscaled to 480p and looks like a PS2 game. PS2, PS1 and BlueRay stuff will still display fine in 1080i.

mY tv supports native 1080i , just not 1080p.

I think buying a used PS3 is risky just because it costs so much. I bought a refurbed Dreamcast and it's still going strong...but it wasn't $400 either. If you could find one with the PS2 chip in it then it might be worth the risk....PS3's seem to be pretty stable, ask gamestop what their warranty is and what Sony's policy is on a used one.

Back