• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTS G92 vs 9800GTX - One on One (and SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
There has been a lot of speculation on how does the GTS G92 stack up against the newly launched 9800 GTX. So in this review I will attempt to bring the readers real life data on a regular rig consisting of the following :

CPU's:
  • E3110
  • Q6600
  • X3350
Motherboard :

EVGA 780i

Graphics Cards:
  • 8800 GTS vs 9800 GTX (stock)
  • 8800 GTS vs 9800 GTX (max OC)
  • 8800 GTS SLI vs 9800 GTX SLI (stock)
  • 8800 GTS SLI vs 9800 GTX SLI (max OC)
Benchmarks that will be used:
  • 3DMARK suite (01/03/06)
  • Crysis Benchmark tool
  • FUR benchmarking
I will start of this weekend with single card comparisons and move to SLI in the next couple of weeks with different combinations to see how the CPU's influence GPU performance.

Note: I would ask people to limit speculations on the outcome until I post some real data, obviously your opinions are most valuable as always, so please feel free to suggest different tests etc

Ah good call. If I remember I'll have to do something similar as I intend to step up my 8800GTS to the 9800GTX as well.

Ah good call. If I remember I'll have to do something similar as I intend to step up my 8800GTS to the 9800GTX as well.

Hopefully this will provide you with the justification to do so or not. Off course the comparison does not take into account the monetary differencial between the two cards, that is up to the individual to make that decision :)

Last edited:
Hopefully this will provide you with the justification to do so or not. Off course the comparison does not take into account the monetary differencial between the two cards, that is up to the individual to make that decision :)

amazing how u can make something so simple sound so sophisticaed / complicated :p

I will keep my eyes on this thread... it will be intresting thats fo sho.

Hmm? No I paid $350 for my GTS but it had a mail in rebate and Crysis, so stepping up is a no brainer, plus I have an extra 8600gts laying around.

amazing how u can make something so simple sound so sophisticaed / complicated :p

Sorry, did not mean to let it sound complicated, must be all the years I spent in engineering.

Hmm? No I paid $350 for my GTS but it had a mail in rebate and Crysis, so stepping up is a no brainer, plus I have an extra 8600gts laying around.

Fully agree, I would have done the same :)

Some Pics and physical dimensions

Length:

8800 GTS - 9"

9800 GTX - 10.5"

Weight:

8800 GTS - 1.6 lbs

9800 GTX - 1.9 lbs

Brand new to the forum, I actually found this thread through a Google search. I've been looking for this exact comparison, and I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Really looking forward to seeing the results posted here!

Small update....have the GTX istalled with latest 174.74 drivers. Runs 51C at idle (25% fan speed) and a cool 34 C at 100% fan speed, the fan is much quieter than the GT. This is still at stock speeds

Brand new to the forum, I actually found this thread through a Google search. I've been looking for this exact comparison, and I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Really looking forward to seeing the results posted here!

:welcome: to OCF, glad you could join us.

Any other games you have which can be benchmarked easily? FEAR has a simple built-in benchmark although it's a bit older now, COH does as ewll, you could always add AA/AF to games that clearly run fast. Crysis just runs slow on everything so another real game wouldn't hurt to see. Then gain you are already doing a ton of comparisons especially with all those CPUs so whatever you do is great. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread :) I've already submitted a step-up because my situation was a similar 'no brainer' to Roofles.

Any other games you have which can be benchmarked easily? FEAR has a simple built-in benchmark although it's a bit older now, COH does as ewll, you could always add AA/AF to games that clearly run fast. Crysis just runs slow on everything so another real game wouldn't hurt to see. Then gain you are already doing a ton of comparisons especially with all those CPUs so whatever you do is great. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread :) I've already submitted a step-up because my situation was a similar 'no brainer' to Roofles.

I'll do a COD4 run as well, I know Rattle has a pretty good MP MAP run that taps the vid card.

OK, 1st benchie on a E3110 (Xeon equivalent of E8400) at 4.05 GHz (9x 450), RAM at 900 4-4-4-12

GTX is at stock speeds

So for those that own E8400, this is a good indication what your GTX will get you at stock. It is very much what the GTS G92 gets. the OC results will be more revealing.

I've seen 3 98 GTX.

1. 825/1225
2. 800/1170
3. 750/11??

All of that is on default fan since it resets @ 60C anyway. The 1st is a bud's and he's a *******. I've noticed the IQ to be improved and I've no idea if that's a 99 hardware thing or what. I never really had the 174 on the GTS tho...so maybe it's driver only? In that case, you may be in for as much disappointment as we had. :(

Would like to see 750 core and 2400 memory, as I'll likely run that 24/7. Hoping for a score just north of 16k marks.

Good deal on the xeon brollocks, that's exactly how I have my e8400 clocked and identical ram timings. You saved me some work! :)

Back