• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surfgod247

Registered
well its time i want to reinvest a lil money into my computer. my computer is a year and a half old and has really held up well. this is what im going to recycle from what i have,

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC2G4000ELK - Retail

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103547

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

ok so thats what im keeping for sure, im upgrading the psu because i have a 40 cheapie in there thats done more then what i exspected, the next thing is im doing a hdd upgrade to 2 36g raptor drives in raid 0, and then i have a 300 gb drive for the junk, the next question is i want 4 gigs of ram but i know its bad to mix and match ram, any help on that one would be great, next question is do i keep my video card and get a second one and run them as sli and just do the mod on the mobo or do i just upgrade to something new?

Imo, the cost of buying 2 raptors and putting them in RAID0 isn't worth the cost, just pick up a single 74gb raptor for your OS/Games/Apps.

As for your ram, it usually doesn't turn out very well when you mix and match ram.

As for upgrading the video card, if it works for what you have now, I would just keep it as is.. Your hardware looks to be a little outdated, but that really depends on what you use it for.

My suggestion is to save up a bit and buy a whole new rig. Putting new parts into what you have, in my opinion, is spending money on old technology; wasting money.

If you give us a budget to work with, I'm sure there's a lot of people that are willing to help you out on these forums. :)

Back