• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to turn an old comp into a router/firewall ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You do need Linux. I would suggest coyote linux or freesco both are designed for routing and are small linux versions that fit on a floppy and load into ram. All you need is two nic cards in the linux machine and a hub or switch that has enough ports for your pc's.

Shep said:
You do need Linux. I would suggest coyote linux or freesco both are designed for routing and are small linux versions that fit on a floppy and load into ram. All you need is two nic cards in the linux machine and a hub or switch that has enough ports for your pc's.

If it fits on floppies, and load in the RAM, do I still need a hard drive for this thing, or will it be unnecessary ?

No hard drive necessary that I am aware of, all it loads is a ram disk. Be sure when you shop for nics you find two that are positive will work with linux without a hitch. I was going to build a firewall out of a 233MMx Pentium, just be sure not to use something too slow. Hope that helps.

J

Back