• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with BIOS settings for Maximus Extreme w/ QX9650 and Radeon 3870x2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rambamatic

Have an Asus Maxiumus Extreme with QX9650 and Radeon x2. With all BIOS setting set to "Auto" I am getting 3dmark06 scores of around 17,500.

I am ready to now start very slowly using the mobo settings to start mildly OCing. I am not going to set to "manual" and do all of the voltage adjustments, memory, etc. by myself. Rather, I'd like to start by using their "CPU level UP" or XMP settings, and once I'm comfortable with that, move on to full manual.

Does anyone run this board in the XMP or CPU level Up settings, and can anyone give me a brief rundown of your stable settings you're using ??

Thanks.

Maximus Extreme / Patriot DDR3-1600

I'm an old guy, overclocking newby. I have a Maximus Extreme, QX9650.

I started out with 4Gb Patriot DDR3-1333, but the memory failed after a couple of weeks. I decided to trade up to Patriot DDR3-1600. However it often won't even post on Auto settings, or on XMP. If I set Memory Level Up to 10666, the machine will boot into Vista pretty reliably, but it's not stable.

So, like the other poster in this thread, I'm hoping someone will guide this virgin into the world of overclocking. Is there a database somewhere of successful BIOS settings for various motherboards & chips? Or articles which spell out the purpose of most settings? Anyone with my setup willing to share what they've done?

Thanks for any help.

Have an Asus Maxiumus Extreme with QX9650 and Radeon x2. With all BIOS setting set to "Auto" I am getting 3dmark06 scores of around 17,500.

I am ready to now start very slowly using the mobo settings to start mildly OCing. I am not going to set to "manual" and do all of the voltage adjustments, memory, etc. by myself. Rather, I'd like to start by using their "CPU level UP" or XMP settings, and once I'm comfortable with that, move on to full manual.

Does anyone run this board in the XMP or CPU level Up settings, and can anyone give me a brief rundown of your stable settings you're using ??

Thanks.

I'm an old guy, overclocking newby. I have a Maximus Extreme, QX9650.

I started out with 4Gb Patriot DDR3-1333, but the memory failed after a couple of weeks. I decided to trade up to Patriot DDR3-1600. However it often won't even post on Auto settings, or on XMP. If I set Memory Level Up to 10666, the machine will boot into Vista pretty reliably, but it's not stable.

So, like the other poster in this thread, I'm hoping someone will guide this virgin into the world of overclocking. Is there a database somewhere of successful BIOS settings for various motherboards & chips? Or articles which spell out the purpose of most settings? Anyone with my setup willing to share what they've done?

Thanks for any help.

:welcome: Both.
First can I suggest that you include all your setup (see my sig).
Then other users can have a look at your components and try to help.
My experience with these boards is that they are very particular on the ram and that most settings should be set to auto, then worked up or down from there.I had trouble OC'ing, but this was mainly to the 8GB and timmings.
I killed four sticks of Crucial already, so when I get the new ones I will most likely run with only 4GB.
My settings bellow might not work for you, every setup is different but your welcome to try. The settings listed are BIOS1004 and stable.:beer:
My Bios v1004 Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner: [Manual]
OC From CPU Level Up: [Auto]
CPU Ratio Control: [9]
FSB Frequency: [400]
FSB Strap to North Bridge: [400M]
PCIE Frequency: [100]
DRAM Frequency: [800]
DRAM Command Rate: [2T]
DRAM Timing Control: [Manual]
CAS# Latency: [5]
RAS# to CAS Delay: [5]