• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing a 24" display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abominable1

I'm in the market for a decent 24" widescreen and I'm willing to fork out around $600 give or take a little. The monitor will be responsible for completing multiple tasks such as Photoshop editing, computer programming and moderate gaming at the displays' native resolution.

Color reproduction is rather poor on my current TN panel when compared to my old CRT display. I bought the TN a couple of years ago to replace that dieing CRT at the time.

I guess I do a little bit of everything, so I need a monitor that will have a good response time for gaming, accurate color reproduction for photoshop editing and a decent viewing angle. I have read a little about some major flaws/drawbacks in today's 24" inch displays, and that they are *not yet ready*, but I must ask since I am very attracted to the idea of owning a monitor that eats up the majority of my peripheral vision.

I'm realizing that there may be no ideal solution for me, because:

1) Budget constraint of $600
2) TN = poor color, fast response
3) S-PVA = better color, slower response
4) S-IPS = superior color, even slower response

So considering my limitations, what would be an all-round acceptable 24" display for me that is best capable of doing what I want it to do?

If you've got the dough, the Dell's are tough to beat. There are a few other choices from Newegg that are probably just as good. Go to 24" then sort by ratings.. should give you a pretty good idea - or use cnet.com and read their lcd reviews. The Dell's are going to be rated very good; especially the 24".

If you've got the dough, the Dell's are tough to beat. There are a few other choices from Newegg that are probably just as good. Go to 24" then sort by ratings.. should give you a pretty good idea - or use cnet.com and read their lcd reviews. The Dell's are going to be rated very good; especially the 24".

So your 2407WFP-HC has been replaced by the 2408WFP? I remember asking you about your monitor before. Are there any ghosting issues with it?

Yes, the 2408WFP is the latest model. I've read complaints about minor ghosting with the 2407-HC, but I just don't see it. I do have one of the last versions of the "HC", so maybe that has something to do with it.
The 2408WFP has some very good reviews thusfar.
If I needed a new monitor, I'd be buying the Dell.

I was going to get the dell but saw some tests done and it has some pretty bad input lag, no ghosting, but the input lag is not good. I shopped around and read and read about 24" panels to replace my two Dell 2005fpw's and found that there is no perfect lcd. I spend my time gaming, COD4, and the usual surfing, burning, emailing, torrenting, things like that so I wanted a panel that was fast and looked good without needing super color reproduction. Finally settled on the new Hanspree 289 27.5". Test show 0-1 fps input lag, and does a good job with black colors. I picked one up this week and its great, very bright, and fast, I actually could tell the difference in the lag, I had to turn the sensitivity down on my G5 to keep from twitching all over in COD4. I played around with the colors to get it were I like it and am now in love. The build quality is very good, it has 2 HDMI inputs, and one DSUB, the one I got had no stuck or dead pixels and the one from Best Buy the 289HJB has the adjustable stand for tilt and horizontal, plus it is supposed to do 1:1 mapping. I have not tested this yet but have read other owners saying it does do this. One thing that people are seeing and I noticed this also is that the monitor will not power off in standby, it just comes up saying the signal is lost, but its not a huge deal to me, I just turn it off at night. Is this a super high end IPS or PVA panel, no its not, does it have a ton of connections, nope, its a TN panel but I think it has great color, reproduces black great, no back light bleeding, good quality, nice stand, and its 27.5", PLUS Best Buy has it on sale right now for $529, thats $20 cheaper than I paid a couple days ago. OH did I mention its 27.5 inches???
Here is a quick picture I took after I got it, the monitor on the left is one of my Dell 2005pfw's.
IMG_0966.jpg

That looks like a killer deal for on a great monitor. I'm looking into it but I'm highly doubtful I'll find that display up here in Canada...can't wait to move back to the states this fall!

Wow, sweet find bigdaddy; I only got one question though: how are the viewing angles? I've had TN panels before, and the vertical (and sometimes horizontal) viewing angles are terrible unless you're at eye-level (the colors tend to shift to black). I'm using my 2407HC at the moment, and I dunno if it's just your camera or if it's actually there, but I couldn't help but notice that on your screen in the pic, the left half of the screen has a more yellowish-gold tint to it than the right. Is that really there, or am I just being overly critical? :p Awesome find though if you're happy with it, cuz in the end: that's all that really matters :D I might just have to go take a trip to BB and have a look for myself.

-Mobious-

Id recommend the Samsung 245b, ive had the Hannspree/Hanns-G (same exact LCD, seems to be knock off outlet companies producing the same thing under a different yet similar name), the 28" monitor had uneven and incorrect backlighting, dead center and a radius around it was perfect but for certain tilt or angles it was a washed out gradient type look to it, even using a professional calibration tool and trying a few different of the same monitors It wasnt worth the cheap price honestly.

Dells are okay, but I prefer any LG or Samsung LCD; they have excellent performance, no ghosting or lag what so ever....even a Westinghouse 24" at bestbuy I noticed for under 400$.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are few standards regarding how response time is measured. Sometimes, black-to-black is measured, sometimes black-to gray, and so forth. Thus, response times between different manufacturers are not at all comparable. Also remember that TN panels (used in most of the cheaper monitors out there) have significantly faster response times than S-IPS panels (used in the ACD,higher-end etc), but the TN panels are inferior to the S-IPS in many other ways.

I think it may have been the angle on that background, its even all the way across. I have tweaked on the color and settings since I took these pictures. I finally got it were I like it. Viewing angle is actually good, I think they advertise it as 160*, I can move side to side and it looks good, everything does go to black. The dell is not in the same position now, its back to landscape, I got a new laptop today and hooked it up to the dell when I have the laptop on my desk.
IMG_0982_resize.jpg

IMG_0984_resize.jpg

Yeah im wondering if the Hanns-G Hannspree offshoots offered specific consumer products..i mean the display is EXACTLY the same (stand, little blue light; exact style/casing of monitor) im just wondering if they used different panels and backlighting.

the one i had was 1080p so it advertised as a PC monitor but acted similar to hooking a tv to my system, each OS i used detected it as an NTSC monitor with overscan so im assuming thats where some of my issues came from with it. (scan lines/video signal interference while only using hdmi->dvi)

but all in all yours looks perfect, it looks like a solid backlit and color is accurate.
youd have to post or PM your calibration settings, and t hemonitor settings, because these are still floating around for a pretty good price.

I have the 2407WFP and 2407WFP-HC and I think the HC model has better contrasts and color representation. You can check out a review here http://www.behardware.com/articles/686-1/review-of-the-dell-2407wfp-hc.html.

There has been extensive discussion on this forum regarding 'ghosting' issues experienced by some users. I don't have that same experience or to that extent. I think the monitor is a solid performer and I play all my games on it.

I thoroughly researched this a few months back. I had wanted the dell, but at the time the 2408 was not out. I went with a BenQ FP241V. I've been very happy.

The Doublesight is the only way to go. Cost is the same as the 2408, but it's 2 inches bigger and a better panel. It really is the best deal out right now for a monitor....

The Doublesight is the only way to go. Cost is the same as the 2408, but it's 2 inches bigger and a better panel. It really is the best deal out right now for a monitor....

The Dell 2408 is selling for $599 right now with the $100 discount offer.

Back