• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing all AAC files from itunes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I made the mistake of ripping all cd's we had to aac files. 5000 plus songs.

None of my music is protected, so thats no problem.

I converted every AAC file to a duplicate MP3. 10000 plus songs are in there now.

Can someone give me a safe way to remove all the AAC file and leave the MP3's.
I hit the "find duplicate's" in itunes but I can't tell which duplicate it's going to remove.

It took 6 hours to convert these songs and I don't want to do it twice.

Thanks for any help. Hope I explained it clearly.:)

The only thing I find in my searches is removing DRM.:confused:

Go to the folder where the music if located and sort by type. It should be easy to delete the aac files then. BTW why don't you like mp4s?

My definition of an MP4 is a multimedia file. Which I use for video's.

By your question are you inferring its the same as an AAC or am I misunderstanding?

Give me a little more help..... in my itunes folder are like 500 plus folders each one having another folder in it, how can I get them to list all the songs with out opening each folder individually?

I think I have it now.... In itunes, under View/View Options I checked "Kind"(Meaning file type) and now I can sort according to file type and delete them that way.

The aac files took up more room. I ripped them at the highest bitrate. Higher then my wife who can only hear with one ear could appreciate.

Also the proggy in Ubuntu I am using just didn't like the AAC's. Though this could be my ineptness with the program.

Thanks for your replies Hardin. I have the songs whittled down from 80 GB to less then 30GB.

I added the file(Kind) and date fields to itunes. Separated them first with "file" then kept just the MP3' I made on 4/2 and cut out the rest. Storing them for a while in case I made a mistake. There must of been triplicates in some instances.

Last edited:
Ah that makes since. They do take up more room and mp3s are more universally compatible. I'm glad you resolved the situation though.

Back