• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to verify Remote Desktop with Vista Home Prem x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Just a quick one for someone to check out for me please :) I need to have outgoing remote desktop capabilities and according to Vista comparison charts Home Premium doesn't have remote desktop. Turns out that's not entirely true I think, I've read in a few notes that (hacks aside) Vista Home Premium can make outoging remote desktop connections it just can't accept them and be used remotely. Can someone with Home Prem x64 try this please? :) The command line is mstsc.exe in case you can't find it otherwise.

:eek: Any helpful souls with Home Prem x64 out there? Just do a run->mstsc.exe and see if you can remote in to an XP Pro or Vista Ultimate or Business or maybe a server OS that can accept remote desktop. Thanks!

xp home, pro, vista (all versions) have the software to connect to a terminal, however, xp pro and vista busineuss / ultimate have the "server" capabilites

in a run box type in mstsc :) [edit] err, you just said that :p

ive been able to connect to my vista machine with my laptop, it has premium x64 btw.

Good, save me $100 for not having to get Ultimate then :p I need it to remote in to a home server on occasion.

xp home, pro, vista (all versions) have the software to connect to a terminal, however, xp pro and vista busineuss / ultimate have the "server" capabilites

in a run box type in mstsc :) [edit] err, you just said that :p

ive been able to connect to my vista machine with my laptop, it has premium x64 btw.

You mean your laptop has Home Premium x64 and the other machine has...?

yeah, and my vista machine (htpc) has vista business N(damm school for giving me that key :p long story)

my server has server 03, gaming x64 xp

what about installing something like a vncviewer for windows. Those are free. It may help you get around some of the problems that may occur with the lack of a server in vista

The client will be in any windows going back to 98 (you can download it from MS). I can confirm that it's in there. The only thing it doesn't have is remote desktop server.

Back