• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 GTX or the 8800 GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can get a HD3870x2 for ~400, otherwise I'd get the 8800GTS 512MB.

The 9800GTX is basically the same EXACT card as the 8800GTS 512MB except its clocked a tiny bit higher and costs 100$ more.

No reason at all to buy an 8800GTX over a 9800GTX right now. I understand some folks bitterness over the fact that the 9800GTX is not a true next gen card performance wise but it is still faster than he 8800GTX runs 20c cooler has better HD and Video capabilities etc... Essentially it's just a refined 8800GTX not something really new performance wise but it overclocks a heck of alot better than an 8800GTS it scales a heck of alot better than an 8800GTX in SLi and it runs cool enough that you won't sweat to death while gaming on your PC ala 8800GTX SLi which I am getting rid of to go 9800GTX SLi :bday:

P.S. Anyone saying it's the same as an 8800GTS please show me an 8800GTS that will reach these clocks on stock cooling without voltmodding :eek:

gpuz.jpg

Yea and my Mother's second cousin, from her brother on her Father's side got 40,000 06 3dmarks with his 6800GT, don't have proof but I swear it's true! I seen it! :santa:

At current prices after MIR it's hard to argue against the 8800GTS 512, either that or a 9600GT. I don't see the 8800GT as that great a value with those two cards flanking it. The only reason I stepped up to a 9800GTX is because the step-up difference was so low because of what I paid for the GTS. Wish I'd had a clue about the 9600GT performance though :p

And for the record there is one notable hardware difference between the GTS and GTX, the GTX has faster memory chips.

it also is a slightly better overclocker. does the better memory .8ns i think make a differnt in real world?

it also is a slightly better overclocker. does the better memory .8ns i think make a differnt in real world?

It's the same memory the Ultra uses 0.8ns...everyone said the Ultra was just an overclocked 8800GTX as well and then the Ultra started breaking world records...

Basically this card is to the 8800GTS what the Ultra was to the 8800GTX, they added 0.8ns memory and a core revision that allows it to overclock to much higher speeds as well as 5 phase power and 2x pcie connectors to provide stability with the overclocking.

It's really a nice card if you are into overclocking and tweaking to get the best out of your system. If your not an overclocker and just run everything stock then might as well save a few bucks and get a 9600GT or 8800GTS.

It's the same memory the Ultra uses 0.8ns...everyone said the Ultra was just an overclocked 8800GTX as well and then the Ultra started breaking world records...

Basically this card is to the 8800GTS what the Ultra was to the 8800GTX, they added 0.8ns memory and a core revision that allows it to overclock to much higher speeds as well as 5 phase power and 2x pcie connectors to provide stability with the overclocking.

It's really a nice card if you are into overclocking and tweaking to get the best out of your system. If your not an overclocker and just run everything stock then might as well save a few bucks and get a 9600GT or 8800GTS.

How would you rate the 9600 GT, 8800 GT, and the 8800 GTS if you are not overclocking and also, if you are overclocking?

How would you rate the 9600 GT, 8800 GT, and the 8800 GTS if you are not overclocking and also, if you are overclocking?

Depends, each card has it's purpose, Bang for buck it's hard to beat 9600GT especially if you SLI 2 of them.

8800GTS is "just an overclocked 8800GT" as these folks would say so might as well just get a 8800GT if you are considering an 8800GTS :p

Seriously though for the most part it depends what resolution your going to be running at lower res a 9600Gt will perform just as well as any of these cards in games. It's not until you get into the higher res 1920x1200 and up that you really start to need the higher end cards like the 9800GTX etc...

The GTS isn't an overclocked GT because it has additional hardware capabilities, so that's not really a apt comparison.

I would just say, get the GTS. As stated, the 9800GTX is not worth the price, and SLi is great and all, but you have to deal with driver support, not to mention the added heat and power requirements.

I my opinion, one high end card is always a better choice then two mid-low enders.

The GTS isn't an overclocked GT because it has additional hardware capabilities, so that's not really a apt comparison.

Then I suppose the 9800GTX must not be an overclocked 8800GTS either because it has "additional hardware capabilities" as well ;)

Then I suppose the 9800GTX must not be an overclocked 8800GTS either because it has "additional hardware capabilities" as well ;)
The 8800gt has 112Sp VS the 8800GTS 128SP

The 9800GTX has the g92 core that is one revision higher than the GTS, I think, 1 or 2 extra phases for power regulation and faster ram. At the end of the day I think 3rd party vendors could have modified the power regulation and added faster ram to achieve nearly the same result as a 9800GTX, just look at Palit and their modified non-reference 8800gt. Point is the change from 8800GT to 8800GTS is larger than the 8800GTS to 9800GTX.

Any ways back to the original question. You can pretty confidently overclock a 8800GTS to 800core/1000mem/2000shader no problem. Now as mentioned above a 9800GTX takes you to what 864/1250/2250? I don't think that's gonna make a $100 justification in my mind but If you can step up for $20 or there abouts then why the hell not ;or if you must 1up everyone else just to score maybe 5%-10% more then I guess go for it. Also The 8800GTX stays competitive with both these cards, winning and losing at different times, but does so with more heat and power usage.

Bottom line go with whats Cheapest

A HARD OCP Review of all 3 cards+ 3800X2

Back