Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Dog crap?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-07-08, 11:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
PhysX

Dog crap?

If dried with heat, can it be used as fertilizer?

+ = ?

ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-08, 11:42 PM   #2
nerdlogic

HAHAHAA Did you put the pictures there in case we didn't understand what you said?

Well, if you want dog crap (since it does come in huge amounts) to be part of your fertilizer, why not? Make a compost heap with dog crap.
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-08, 11:44 PM   #3
Nathan0490
Premium Member #17

Conroe Hoe

LOL

Crucial M4 128GB SSD [OS]
Samsung 1TB F3 32MB Raid 0 (x2) [STORAGE]
ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5
AuzenTech Prelude - Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair AX850
HSPC Tech Station w/ 10" Legs
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" LED LCD
Nathan0490 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-08, 11:45 PM   #4
DerekDRP
Disabled

Oh man this is too funny.
DerekDRP is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-08, 11:49 PM   #5
Lionsault_100

Old 04-07-08, 11:52 PM   #6
jstutman

10 Year Badge

Yes it can, Im eating a grape grown from dog crap. It has a weird crunch that I am kinda worried about.

Heatware
jstutman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 12:16 AM   #7
nerdlogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman View Post
Yes it can, Im eating a grape grown from dog crap. It has a weird crunch that I am kinda worried about.
Do you have a strange desire to sniff a fire hydrant?
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 12:21 AM   #8
kraven

I'd say it depends on what the animal has been eating. If it has been fed a balanced diet of vegetables, meats, and grains then yeah, sure, why not? It it's been feed some alpo or some other processed dog food, i'd just shovel it into the neighbors yard. Why? Because not only are you what you eat but what you eat has eaten. You eat a plant that's been growing in soil that has dog poo mixed in = eating dog poo = alpo or veggies + lamb/beef/chicken + rice/wheat.

I think the choice is clear.

Old 04-08-08, 07:36 AM Thread Starter   #9
PhysX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlogic View Post
HAHAHAA Did you put the pictures there in case we didn't understand what you said?

Well, if you want dog crap (since it does come in huge amounts) to be part of your fertilizer, why not? Make a compost heap with dog crap.
Sometimes I have questions as easy as that and people dont understand haha... Anyways I dont have a dog, but I am trying to find out, my gf has this teach for one of her classes who was talking about something he "invented", something about picking up dog crap, heating it up until its dry then spreading it afterwards... hes one of those... you know eccentric teachers.

ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 07:39 AM   #10
benscoobert

carnivorous animal tish doesn't compost
is the dog a vegetarian?
benscoobert is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 07:40 AM   #11
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysX View Post
Sometimes I have questions as easy as that and people dont understand haha... Anyways I dont have a dog, but I am trying to find out, my gf has this teach for one of her classes who was talking about something he "invented", something about picking up dog crap, heating it up until its dry then spreading it afterwards... hes one of those... you know eccentric teachers.

lol, and simple math without going into great detail nonetheless!

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 10:52 AM   #12
Jab-tech
The Jab-Tech Guy

From the internets
Quote:
"Although dog and cat manure both contain organic nutrients useful to plants, neither is safe to use in soil containing food crops. Both contain parasitic pathogens that are harmful to human health. Dog manure can contain the eggs of Toxocara canis (the common large roundworm), which can also infect humans. It's estimated that 90% of young puppies are infected with this worm-many are born infected-and up to 50% of all adult dogs. The eggs can be transferred to the human mouth by a person's fingers or from foods that have been in contact with dog feces. Toxocara eggs can remain viable in the soil for up to 10 years depending on environmental conditions. Because no information is known on the effects hot composting has on Toxocara eggs, it also unsafe to add dog manure to compost heaps intended for food crops. If you have a dog feces problem in your garden, remove the feces and take care to use good hygiene practices (thoroughly washing hands and vegetables) to avoid possible contamination."

Jab-tech is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 11:26 AM   #13
Drinkyoghurt

why not use your own crap? it's larger then dog doodoo

CPU:
Intel i5-2500k 4.7ghz 1.34V - M0b0:Asrock P67 Pro3 Rev. B3 - Ram:Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 7-8-7-21 1.63V - Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - Videocard:Sparkle GTX 260 216 core 55nm -
14459 marks in 3Dmark06
Reboot: "Don't argue with idiots. They bring you to their level and beat you with experience."
rdrash:"I think Todd changes hardware more frequently then he changes his underpants."
Join the benching team and be part of the elite
Drinkyoghurt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 12:09 PM   #14
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: 103 year old Victorian that I am renovat/moderniz-ing and fixing.

composting will break down almost anything given enough time and/or effort.

Horse/Cow manure is used predominately in composting though because it is almost exclusively vegetable matter.

I wouldnt use canine, feline or humane manure for my compost personally.

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 05:28 PM   #15
hkgonra

10 Year Badge

I saw a special on discovery channel the other day about fertilizer, it was saying one of the best fertilizers on the market now is made from human waste.
If that works, and we KNOW it works from cows, then I see no reason why dogs stuff wouldn't work.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
-- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware
hkgonra is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 05:52 PM   #16
Hardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinkyoghurt View Post
why not use your own crap? it's larger then dog doodoo
I wonder how he would explain it to the neighbors if they saw him doing that.

motherboard-Asus P8Z68-V LE
Hardin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 09:14 PM   #17
AMD Phreak

i know of a farm that fertalizez their grain crops with processed compost stuff that is from the city waste treatment plant... the city trucks the compost stuff in via large trucks and then spreads it on the fields. the stuff looks like very dark dirt. i suspect their is plenty of crap in that but its been processed so much that it is very safe.

using dog poo in my mind is just as bad as using cat manure..... nasty.
AMD Phreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 09:27 PM   #18
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgonra View Post
........... then I see no reason why dogs stuff wouldn't work.
It was just explained above... read post about worms.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.