• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800GTX vs 880GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trobow

Registered
It is not worth getting the GTX for the price, get an EVGA 8800 GTS and step up to the GT200 coming in June/July.

I have to agree with brolloks. I just bought one for my roommate and I wasnt that much impressed with the performance. But I have to say that it runs alot cooler, I have it at 825 core and it's still cool.

You can't go wrong with either one tho. Goodluck with your purchase :)

Well coming from an 8800 series card I dont think its worth it. But I think hes comin from the 7 series so it's a different story then. So it all comes down to his budget now. :)

I guess it all depends if you want to spend the extra money for the 9800GTX. If the performance increase is worth it...go for it.

I don't believe that a $100 premium after the MIR prices on the 8800GTS is worth it for the GTX. GT's have nice prices now too :eek: although only when counting MIR on a few of them. They are getting close to 9600GT pricing, wow, makes the GT almost reasonable vs the 9600GT.

Because of Newegg's often-times frustrating price adjustment engine which takes in to account purchasing and probably also inventory. If a card doesn't sell as well or sits in inventory for a while it will decrease, then it will sell a lot and increase again :p In any case all the reference design cards are the same so may as well go with the cheapest one from a good manufacturer.

There is quite a bit of difference between the GTS and GT, the GTS has a much better memory controller and clocks overall higher than the GT.

SLI GT will be great, if you have the extra $ get the GTS by all means

EVGA has a better warranty than MSI and has the step up program as well, other than that the both cards have the same design. The MSI has a better cooler on , it is a Zalman VF1000 actually which retails around $40-$50.

From all the research I have done over the past few days it looks as if the 8800GT Superclock blows the GTS out of the water!

I also ahve read afew times that the 9800GTX is not worth the upgrade.

My 7800GTX has lasted this long I just want to make sure I get something that will last another 2 years.

I think I am going to go with the MSI cards but still not sure.

From all the research I have done over the past few days it looks as if the 8800GT Superclock blows the GTS out of the water!

I also ahve read afew times that the 9800GTX is not worth the upgrade.

My 7800GTX has lasted this long I just want to make sure I get something that will last another 2 years.

I think I am going to go with the MSI cards but still not sure.

All due respect buddy, dunno what you have read but that is absolutely bogus. I have owned personally several GT's and currently have 3 GTS and can tell you that the GTS is a much stronger card than the GT.

The GT is a crippled GTS. 112SP's vs. the GTS' 128SP's.

If you plan on OCing yourself then skip the SC, KO, etc and just get the vanilla.

It is hard to justify a GT purchase w/ the GTS being just a little bit more $ AR.

With all due respect I wasn't trying to offend you buddy.

I was jsut saying that it seems the 8800GT is a better option for SLI and price. It looks as if the 8800GT SLI will be a better option for the price. All the reviews and benchmarking (tomshardware, xtremesystems, andatech, etc) it looks as if for the price the GT is a better purchase. 8800 GTS is still an option for me but I just cannot seem to find the one I want for the price I want it.

I also feel that the 9800GTX doesn't seem any different than the 8800GTS. From the research I have done it looks as if the 9800GTX is just a revamped 8800GTS.

With all due respect I wasn't trying to offend you buddy.

I was jsut saying that it seems the 8800GT is a better option for SLI and price. It looks as if the 8800GT SLI will be a better option for the price. All the reviews and benchmarking (tomshardware, xtremesystems, andatech, etc) it looks as if for the price the GT is a better purchase. 8800 GTS is still an option for me but I just cannot seem to find the one I want for the price I want it.

I also feel that the 9800GTX doesn't seem any different than the 8800GTS. From the research I have done it looks as if the 9800GTX is just a revamped 8800GTS.

If you are going strictly on price/performance, go with the $110 9600GTs in SLI. Unless you can find 8800GTs for under $150..

Back