• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My home is now Windows FREE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

It feels somewhat liberating.....

I shut down my fileserver after getting a 500GB USB drive on top of the 320GB one I already had, so now I'm using those to house data for my MAC and transporting stuff to and from the 360 and PS3.

I had not logged into XP on the MAC with bootcamp in some time and had forgot that the Beta is expired (I do not have Leopard yet) so I turned back my sytem date and went into the control panel for bootcamp and told it to undo and delete the Windows partition.

If I should ever NEED Windows again, I still have my fileserver that I can fire up but I may eventually get parallels.

Too bad I still use it at work :(

Congrats Fudge.:beer:

Still getting my gaming fix with through WinXP.
You have a console for yours right?:)

As above Congrats Fudge. I too have one windows system left (comp1 sig) and the only reason is for PC gaming.

Also I believe Fudge has all the current consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3) IIRC.

As above Congrats Fudge. I too have one windows system left (comp1 sig) and the only reason is for PC gaming.

Also I believe Fudge has all the current consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3) IIRC.

Hehehe..... that's an understatement.....

As of right now I have:
ColecoVision with 2600 Adapter
Atari Jaguar
TurboGrafX16
TurboGrafx16 CD

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
GameBoy color
Gameboy Advance
Nintendo DS

Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sega Nomad
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast

Xbox
Xbox360

Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation3
Sony PSP

Hehehe..... that's an understatement.....

As of right now I have:
ColecoVision with 2600 Adapter
Atari Jaguar
TurboGrafX16
TurboGrafx16 CD

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
GameBoy color
Gameboy Advance
Nintendo DS

Sega Master SystemSoftware
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sega Nomad
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast

Xbox
Xbox360

Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation3
Sony PSP

I guess it is just a coinencidence that the PS2 is the only system missing from your otherwise comprehensive console list. ;)

I was on my 3rd PS2 (optical problems each time, go figure) so I traded #3 in on the PS3 that is fully backwards compatible before it broke.

I had a 2600 but sold it off for money when I got my first car, figured I didn't need it when the ColecoVision played the carts. Never got the Lynx.....

If I should ever NEED Windows again, I still have my fileserver that I can fire up but I may eventually get parallels.

That would be my suggestion, get Parallels if you really need Windows. Windows will run better on your Mac then on your Athlon. Then, install your favorite linux on your Athlon and run it 'til it dies, and considering how Athlons run that could be a very long time. :beer:

That would be my suggestion, get Parallels if you really need Windows. Windows will run better on your Mac then on your Athlon. Then, install your favorite linux on your Athlon and run it 'til it dies, and considering how Athlons run that could be a very long time. :beer:

I really have no use for it any more. It was an electric sucker and loud even without all 14 fans running and clocked at 2.7ghz (it's a mobile 2600). I've got Ubuntu installed on my PS3 should I ever want to tinker with it again.

Why do you hate windows so much? It hasn't done anything to me that made me not want to use it. No offense by this but I think a lot of people just SAY they hate it, do you have some legit reasons and examples?

Why do you hate windows so much? It hasn't done anything to me that made me not want to use it. No offense by this but I think a lot of people just SAY they hate it, do you have some legit reasons and examples?

I think people hate and want to distance them selves from Microsoft products as much as possible due to their United States Microsoft antitrust case behavior. I won't deny that Windows XP is a great OS, it just that Microsoft is a monopoly and Linux is free. So for anything else besides gaming why would you choose Windows?

Actually its the EULA I can't stand. If I could install it legally as many times as I wanted, after hardware changes I would have gotten a copy.(As long as it was $100 or less.)

and yeah this..
.I won't deny that Windows XP is a great OS, it just that Microsoft is a monopoly and Linux is free. So for anything else besides gaming why would you choose Windows?
Learning Linux is just FUN:clap:

Actually its the EULA I can't stand. If I could install it legally as many times as I wanted, after hardware changes I would have gotten a copy.(As long as it was $100 or less.)

LOL now-a-days they just let me use the the code again... Calling them is the hassle though.

They have been cracking down on hacked copies of both XP and Vista here lately. Lol the people I know with cracked versions all got the automatic "genuine advantage" tool. I lol'd but then i had to help them...

Ubuntu 64 looks promising.. Just I haven't stepped a foot into llinux yet.

So for anything else besides gaming why would you choose Windows?

I love apt, linux is much more secure, desktop effects are amazing, I'm addicted to virtual desktops, so much great free software, extremely customizable, yet still powerful, wine does its job really well, gnome is 1000x intuitive compared to windows, the list goes on. I personally don't see much of a reason to use Microsoft unless you HAD to. And even then I'd dual boot.

I've been using windows for many years and have never paid for it. (not saying piracy, there are such things as betas and MSDN) And why use linux with wine if you hate windows? Thats like replacing the CD player in your car with a tape player and then getting one of those cassette tape to 3.5 mm adapters and a walkman so you can play your CDs again. Then (in my case) you realize that you used more CDs than tapes so you just put the CD player back in. And linux being more secure? I've never been directly targeted by somebody and from what I've seen most hacking happens when the user screws up. (like downloads a program in order to access a certain website) I am confident in my ability to manually defend my servers and computers from hackers and viruses and have not had any problems yet.

i too have never paid for windows. my dad probably paid for 2000 when he first built it, but "free" versions of that are easy to find. XP i got free too. not hacked, all legit, passes all genuine advantage crap, its just a "nice" free version. its nice having a XP disc i can install on as many comps as i want, make any hardware changes i want, and not have to worry about anything :)

i refuse to pay for any OS. well i take that back, id pay for it as i have no problem paying something to support the work that went into it, but im not paying over ~50 for it. F*** paying upwards of 4-500 bucks for an OS thats just robbery. plus i hate all the DRM and proprietary-ness of everything that is microsoft/apple. thats why i use linux for the most part now. learning it wasnt that hard and it performs just as good if not better than windows. and i have a lot more flexibility to do pretty much whatever i want. plus i dont game so windows doesnt apeal to me there. the ONLY thing i need windows for is MATLAB for some of my classes. even then i could use octave, but im more familiar with matlab/simulink. so i just use a VM for that.

So far on XP ive ran WITHOUT a firewall/antivirus. Only XPs firewall. And I sure all over the internet. Just common knowledge.

It feels somewhat liberating.....

I shut down my fileserver after getting a 500GB USB drive on top of the 320GB one I already had, so now I'm using those to house data for my MAC and transporting stuff to and from the 360 and PS3.

I had not logged into XP on the MAC with bootcamp in some time and had forgot that the Beta is expired (I do not have Leopard yet) so I turned back my sytem date and went into the control panel for bootcamp and told it to undo and delete the Windows partition.

I think that's great, as a statement of principle as well as exercising the power a consumer has in the marktplace. It does feel good to not be dependent upon a large corporation, and it's less-than altrustic fashion, in dealing with it's customers. It's o.k. to still use MS products, XP is without a doubt been a very useful product; when a customer has the ability to use said product on his/her own terms...then ying and yang are in equilibrium.

Myself? I use XP at home occasionally on my Mac, using VMware Fusion. I currently am using the trial version, but I like the functionality so well that I am planning to buy the license, before the 30 day trial 'time-bomb' goes off.

Too bad Mac users have to pay, whereas VMware server is free for Linux and Windows systems.

Back