• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650@4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrniceakap

Hi all

My system:

Asus Maximus Extreme
QX9650
2x 1024 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF
2x 3870X2
1200W PSU
ReseratorXT Cooling System

My goal was overclocking my cpu to 4ghz. But the system is not prime stable. Here are some screenshots:

Maybe someone can tell me where the problem is. I tried a lot of different settings. The following ones are the most stable at the moment.

thx
mrnice

Attachments

• bios_1.jpg
    bios_1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,826
  • bios_2.jpg
    bios_2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,634
  • bios_3.jpg
    bios_3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,529
  • cpuz-temp-prime.JPG
    cpuz-temp-prime.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,496
Kick it up to a 10x multi and do 400fsb and see what happens.

Also, if you have "GTL reference voltage", turn it up and see if that helps.

:welcome:

Try adjusting the CPU GTLREF a bit, that seems to noticably help these quads when overclocking. Also, have you taken the time to ensure your ram is stable at those settings? By that, I mean have you tried running your CPU at 6x multiplier and see if failures occur in the same way?

First thing I see is try 400 fsb strap,Transboost should be disabled with option 1, FSB Term 1.36-1.38, NB Volts 1.59, SB volts 1.050, CPU GTL Ref 063, NB Ref 067

thx for the quick replies. I will try your suggestions and post the results...

@Albuquerque
the memory was tested with memtest for 2 hours with no errors.

mfg
mrnice

Like thideras said, try 400 x 10. Additionally I'd set all AI stuff to Auto, Strap to NB to Auto (while maintaining target ram frequency), and bump vcore one or two notches until you find stability. You won't need GTL until pushing FSB. What is the average loop temperature, ie H2O temp?

Like thideras said, try 400 x 10. Additionally I'd set all AI stuff to Auto, Strap to NB to Auto (while maintaining target ram frequency), and bump vcore one or two notches until you find stability. You won't need GTL until pushing FSB. What is the average loop temperature, ie H2O temp?

the h2o temp is at 28-30 C°. What about the vcore. Is 1.4 too high or too low ?

the h2o temp is at 28-30 C°. What about the vcore. Is 1.4 too high or too low ?
It depends on the processor. I run mine at 1.41v for a stable overclock of 4ghz. YMMV of course.

Upping the GTL Reference voltage allowed me to lower my vcore.

By the looks on cpu-z, and DRAM frequency, you are running a 1:2 divider? Are you meaning to?
Can you adjust your "fsb to Northbridge strap" to make the "DRAM frequency" to double your "fsb frequency"? Or adjust your DRAM frequency to 850, if running 425 fsb.This will give you 1:1. Maybe pushing the ram too much?
It's just a thought. I haven't experienced a ddr3 board yet.
BTW,,
Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697

Edit: Nevermind to all to the above.. I just read up on ddr3's bios. Sorry.:shrug:

Last edited:
I'm running a straight up 13x multi on mine with 1333 FSB @ 1.3875 V. It'll prime and folds 24/7 perfectly stable.. What are your temps? I'm sitting at 60-61C on air.
Although I've also got a 9770 and so far it won't go above 4.2...

Back