• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI RS482 and Opteron 165 Oc'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamwhiles

Ok, I just got an Opteron 165 socket 939 cpu to go into my DFI Infinity RS482 motherboard. I am having a problem getting above 2151Mhz. I know these 165's are good overclockers so obviously I'm doing something wrong here. When I try to up the clock it won't post and resets back to default. The Stepping of the cpu is CCBBE 0616XPMW. I have attached pictures from my bios, hopefuly someone can assist me in getting on the right track. Thanks in advance for any advice.

bios1.jpg

bios2.jpg

bios3.jpg

bios4.jpg

------------------------------------------
DFI RS482 Infinity 939
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE 0616XPMW w/ stock cooling
2GB (2x1GB) g.skill pc3200 ddr400 2.5-3-3-6
eVGA 8600GT 256MB PCI-e
160 GB Western Digital IDE
Sound Blaster Audigy
Rosewill RV380-2-FRB ATX 12V ver.2.0 380W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro sp2 / Vista Ultimate

Last edited:
Looks like you are overclocking the RAM as well. Put it on a divider to lower its speed. Also, make sure your HT is at or below 1000.

Most common mistake I see with new AMD overclockers (including myself at that time): not understanding and using a RAM divider.

I'm not familiar with DFI BIOS', but you might find your RAM divider options in a couple of the menu options in the first screenie. Try highlighting either "Current DRAM Speed" or "DRAM Clock Setting". Post some screenies of those two sub-menus.

I'm going to sleep. If nobody has helped you by the time I read your response, I'll give you more help. Until then, there's a distinct possibility that someone with more knowledge of DFI boards will see your post and point you in the right direction.

Yep...your RAM seems to be clocked too high (rated @ 400, and as you can see, you're running it at 478 = which happens to be 2x239 (your FSB setting)). Set "DRAM Clock Setting" to 5:6 or lower. 5/6 will run your RAM @ ~400 again. If you OC higher, lower the divider even more.

IIRC, the RS482 doesn't have a 5/6 divider regardless, so you'll be at a lower divider anyway.

ok i changed the divider to 2/1 and changed the clock to 2502 and some lower clocks all i get is the same 2151 with the 2/1 i tried changing the voltage on the cpu to 1.375 and 1.4 but still any higher than 2151 and get one long beep and the bios resets. Also evilrad mentioned making sure the HT was at or below 1000, but i'm not sure which one of the settings in my bios he is talking about. I must still be doing something wrong here.

update:

I am now running at 2728Mhz at 1.350 voltage 9x multiplyer ram at 300mghz

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
ok i changed the divider to 2/1 and changed the clock to 2502 and some lower clocks all i get is the same 2151 with the 2/1 i tried changing the voltage on the cpu to 1.375 and 1.4 but still any higher than 2151 and get one long beep and the bios resets. Also evilrad mentioned making sure the HT was at or below 1000, but i'm not sure which one of the settings in my bios he is talking about. I must still be doing something wrong here.

I hope you mean the 1/2 divider instead of 2/1. If it is a 2:1 ratio, you are really overclocking the RAM now! You are doubling the RAM speed as to whatever the FSB is set at then. I'm not familiar what the board, but it looks like the HT might be the "CPU 'n' NB Bus Ratio Setting". Manual set it to 4x for any FSB under 250 and 3x for anything over that. Instead of the #x, it may be listed as 1000, 800, 600, 400. In that case, 800 would be 4x and 600 would be 3x.

Yea your right, 1/2 lol and the ht is at 3x - 600 right now and the multiplyer is 9x still

i'm confused, which one of the voltages in my bios is the vdd? Note the pics above

Back