• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about satalite internet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Well I am hoping to move out in a few months and the town I am in only has one DSL provider which service is horrible (10K up and 30K down) and their always having outages.. I was considering getting satalite.. anyone have expirence with any of those ISPs? I know the latency is horrible but I do not game, I just browse and run some torrents mainly. I basically have three choices.. the crappy DSL, satalite.. or dial up.

buddy of mine has AT&T (formerly cingular) and is pretty happy with it .. your results may vary on your location .. but he seems to get pretty high connection speeds with torrents .. how much is the dsl per month ? satellite ? ..and dial up should not be considered .. i cant stand dial up :D

The DSL isnt through AT&T its through some off brand and its 30 or 40 bucks a month for pure crap.

my Dad has the basic package from Hughes.net.IMO it is the suck.For what he pays a month for it I would be very upset(~$50-$60 a month)for 768down/128up.The worst part is the "Fair Access Policy" which states if he uses more than 200MB of bandwidth in a 24 hour period he gets reduced speeds for a 24 hour period.although there is a 2 hour window every day(12am-2am pst) with unlimited use of bandwidth.

The worst part is the "Fair Access Policy" which states if he uses more than 200MB of bandwidth in a 24 hour period he gets reduced speeds for a 24 hour period.although there is a 2 hour window every day(12am-2am pst) with unlimited use of bandwidth.

that right there w/ cost is the issue w/ SAT ... you are almost better off dealing w/ crappy DSL

in addition if you are in a HIGH wind/poor weather area (tho not as bad as it used to be) you can easily loose connection and refocusing a dish is a royal pain ... focusing a dish for tv is like focusing on a basketball, lotsa room for error ... focusing for internet is like trying to focus on a dime, no room for error

With the price and limitations of Satellite, personally I would take the cheap DSL. Maybe see if they offer a commercial package, ISPs have faster packages for businesses, maybe you can get that.

I believe down here its dailup for home users and the DSL is for business.. Two options. No variations in speed on the DSL.

maybe you could complain that its slow...maybe if you complain enough they'll install a bridge or something close by. it actually worked for one of my friends, he was getting 1.5mbps down, on a 5mbps advertised line...he complained enough that they installed a bridge and now he gets around 4.5...

hm.. maybe lol but down here we are behind by like.. ten decades.. we have telegraph internet. xD

Back