• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Flow" is... weiiiiiiird.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
It doesn't really start like a game... They kind of warn you a game is coming... then if you eat the wrong thing it starts looking for a network game. An instruction manual would've helped I'm sure... but what can you do?

You float around eating things until you evolve, but there's no pause button, no save screen... it's supposed to be autosaving but I have no idea when that kicks in. I pressed the wrong button or ate the wrong thing and I was back to my initial form.

I can't believe anybody's ever paid money for this game (I got it as a gift). It seems like a great game to have built into the PS3 or PSP...

Actually a pretty fun/relaxing game. It is also pretty simple which is probably why they didn't add much of a guide in. Basically you eat as many organism as you can to grow. If you eat a red dot you move to the next stage, and a blue dot goes to the previous stage. In all there are probably like 6 or 7 different forms that you unlock as you play the game, which is where the autosaving comes into play. For instance when I start the game now I can pick any of these creatures and play the game using it rather then the normal organism. (All move differently)

Anyway, I don't play it much but I have turned it on and just let it idle while I am just lounging around my house or trying to sleep.

Actually a pretty fun/relaxing game. It is also pretty simple which is probably why they didn't add much of a guide in. Basically you eat as many organism as you can to grow. If you eat a red dot you move to the next stage, and a blue dot goes to the previous stage. In all there are probably like 6 or 7 different forms that you unlock as you play the game, which is where the autosaving comes into play. For instance when I start the game now I can pick any of these creatures and play the game using it rather then the normal organism. (All move differently)

Anyway, I don't play it much but I have turned it on and just let it idle while I am just lounging around my house or trying to sleep.

That's just it... NOBODY could play it much... and it is the kind of game you could let idle while you're trying to sleep. Which is why I think it should be a free/build into the firmware, kind of thing.

When I first saw it I also thought it was a weird game they shouldn't charge for it mind I can't believe it's got an expansion too lol looks like a relaxing game thou.

All you need now is Whale Music to make it more adventures of the sea like.

That's just it... NOBODY could play it much... and it is the kind of game you could let idle while you're trying to sleep. Which is why I think it should be a free/build into the firmware, kind of thing.

Sorry I should of been more clear. I do not play the game much anymore because I have completed it already with every character. I could see it coming on the PS3 for free though.

just an FYI...this might answer some questions about it's non-game like environment. Flow started out as a college students (USC I think) dissertation project on the topic of "flow" in correlation to media consumption. Flow is basically when the participant enters a state of total immersion into the media, where you lose track of time etc...it was a flash based game that gained quit a bit of popularity and Sony plucked up the rights to it from the developer back when PS3 was barely out. So thats why it doesn't have pause screens and clear cut levels because it was meant to suck you in and keep you going, not say "whew..level 10 done I'll pick it back up later".

Aye this is a fun game. Wierd but fun. There was a 2 lvl version of it for the PC. Which is when I saw it first then as soon as I heard it was out for the PSP i couldn't resist. Its great, takes say 20-30min to complete a stage. Always a challenge not to get anything eaten off your guy. Think im on the 7th life form if not mistaken.

I know with the PC version you could edit an INI file to make ur own lvls but that surely would take a bit to understand how it was being done.

I'm at work and wicked sleepy, and just thinking about that game is making me fall asleep, lol. Awesome game, very relaxing.

Back