• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 900? Enermax Chakra? Or Something Else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamingDaemon

Hi Everyone,

Wondering what a good case for air cooling an E3110 would be? I also plan on having a RAID 0 across 2 raptors with a back up drive, for a total of 3 hard drives. And of course, my eVGA 8800GTX video card.

I have enjoyed using the Enermax Chakra, with its enormous 250mm side fan and plenty of room. But I have heard a lot of good things about the Antec 900.

What bothers me about the Antec 900 though is that the power supply is on the bottom, creating two problems:
  1. The heat from the power supply will rise across the video card and the processor.
  2. The PSU is far away from the mobo meaning it might be hard to make all of the proper power connections.

I welcome anyone's personal experience with the Antec 900, or info on another case that would satisfy my criteria for under $120.

Thanks!

CM590. :D

http://www.svc.com/rc-590-kkn1-gp.html

Plenty of fan holes, and a slight change compared to the 690. It mounts the PSU at the bottom as well, but you really won't have any problems organizing the cables if they are long.

As for the PSU heat rising up. I'm pretty sure that the majority of the heat will be pushed out from the back vent. It may determine based on your PSU, but my 550VX isn't that hot with the nice efficiency it has. The side panel fan will pretty much push more cool air toward the video card anyways so I don't think that would be much of an issue.

CM590. :D

http://www.svc.com/rc-590-kkn1-gp.html

Plenty of fan holes, and a slight change compared to the 690. It mounts the PSU at the bottom as well, but you really won't have any problems organizing the cables if they are long.

As for the PSU heat rising up. I'm pretty sure that the majority of the heat will be pushed out from the back vent. It may determine based on your PSU, but my 550VX isn't that hot with the nice efficiency it has. The side panel fan will pretty much push more cool air toward the video card anyways so I don't think that would be much of an issue.

Sounds like a good choice. Is SVC a good online retailer? I am a loyal newegg customer.

Newegg has the 590 as well. I have the 690 and love it. This looks like a great case too. I love CM cases, and I don't think I'll every buy another brand unless CM starts making crap. I would say either the 590 or 690 would be good choices.

Yeah I bought my case along with a few other items from them. I've been pretty satisfied. They accept paypal too so if they happen to somehow screw you over paypal always has that $200 buyer protection thing. $10 cheaper than newegg, and shipping was $5 less as well for me.

Well, I went down to Fry's to look at the cases in person and after looking through about 50 cases on display, I am even more confused than before. I like the Cooloer Master 590 and 690, but I also like the Antec P180 a lot too.

Then to make matters worse, I bought some case fans for my wife's PC. She has the Enermax Chakra too. The time it took to get the case fans out and put the new ones in was ridiculous. It was way too hard. Surely the Cooler Master and Antec cases are easier to replace fans after having built the rig?

Can anyone comment on which cases are easier to use, Antec or Cooler Master? :confused:

The antec 900 is easy to to change fans in, and allows many different config's. I was using that until the top fan got broken.

There is a new TT Armor case out right now that's pretty nice too.

The 590 was pretty easy to install things other than the hard drives. I'll admit it was kinda annoy if you use the same slots as me(top and bottom) rather than the middle slots. The fans I had no issues though, and the front panel is pretty easy to take off.

Hope ya like whichever case you decide on. :)

I really like the way you can remove the 3.5" drive bays with that key ring....very cool!!! :clap:

But the CM 690 has the drives face outward, perpendicular to the case which I prefer. Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :)

How easy is it to remove the hard drive cages in the Antec 900?

Back