Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

The Last-Ditch Attempt Saloon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-12-08, 11:12 PM Thread Starter   #1
rainless
Old Member

The Last-Ditch Attempt Saloon

I left Chicago... and America... and the Western Hemisphere... for a lot of different reasons. I wrote about a lot of them in my first book "Halos," and... when I'm feeling patriotic, I like to tell people (especially Europeans) that it was due to a change in some form of elected official.

But 75% of the reason is that Chicago is a horrible place to meet women...

...let me clarify:

Chicago is, was, and has ALWAYS been a horrible place for ME to meet women.

If you're the kind of guy who wears a baseball hat... or can't count past nine... or if you're a girl... then Chicago is an EXCELLENT place to meet women. If you don't fall into any of the above categories... then you're in serious trouble.

Because... while most of the city has been surrendered to a bunch of hipsters transplanted from the suburbs, all looking like, dressing like, and pretending that they ARE Michael Stivic (http://www.geocities.com/rfgold/imag...vic-3.jpg)from All in the Family... we still have Clark Street open to the kegger-toting, "can't get to ten" crowd.

But there isn't any place for I, or most of my friends (on both the male and female side of the spectrum) to meet people.

I spend a lot of time talking to women now that I'm back here... but it's mostly just to keep up practice and prove that I still can. I don't ask for anybody's number or try to go out with anybody these days. I haven't met anybody who I've WANTED to have more information on since I moved back here.

And I basically created this thread to find out what it's like where you live. Of course all you married folks(*cough*nerdlogic*coughcough*xerofan*), over six foot tall airforce guys *cough*TommyHolly*cough*, and bots *cough*Oni*cough*, need not apply.

But what does the last bar open at 5am look like where you are?

Speaking of which... that reminds me of a story...

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
rainless is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-08, 11:21 PM   #2
cabose1227

If you like to talk to women or even see them, dont come to lompoc.

ASUS Maximus V Gene
Intel i5 3570k @4.8 ghz/ s1283
ATI HD 5970
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 1600
Antec 650W 80 plus Platinum
OCZ Vertex 4 120gb
WD Re4 500gig
WD Veloci Raptor 300gb
HEAT : caboose1227
cabose1227 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-08, 11:31 PM Thread Starter   #3
rainless
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabose1227 View Post
If you like to talk to women or even see them, dont come to lompoc.
I'll make that a point.

"80 miles to the next gas station after this..."

"What exit is it?"

"Lompoc."

"KEEP GOIN'! We can make it!"

Corsair 750TX PSU
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
Old 04-12-08, 11:31 PM   #4
Oni
Oni-ni-Kanabō
Ninja Hippo eater Moderator

10 Year Badge

Wow. I can feel the love here, Rainless. It runs deep.

I wear a baseball cap. There's no logo on it, I don't wear it to the side, but I have been known to wear it backwards on occasion. I guess I fall into one of the '******' subgroups anyways.

On Indefinite Hiatus

Asus P6T SE
Intel i7 930 @ Stock
12GB Corsair DDR3 9-9-9-24
XFX Radeon 5830 @ Stock
Corsair 750 Watt PSU

Oni is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-08, 11:38 PM   #5
Super Nade
SU(3) Moderator

In Indy, if a bar is open till 5AM, odds are you are going to run into a bunch of wannabe gangstas/stupid sportsmen and get shot in the ass. Need I say more...

Build in progress
ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L
Super Nade is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-08, 11:43 PM   #6
cabose1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainless View Post
I'll make that a point.

"What exit is it?"

"Lompoc."

lol

ASUS Maximus V Gene
ATI HD 5970
OCZ Vertex 4 120gb
WD Re4 500gig
WD Veloci Raptor 300gb
Old 04-12-08, 11:48 PM Thread Starter   #7
rainless
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Wow. I can feel the love here, Rainless. It runs deep.

I wear a baseball cap. There's no logo on it, I don't wear it to the side, but I have been known to wear it backwards on occasion. I guess I fall into one of the '******' subgroups anyways.
Hey! Didn't you read through my coughs?!? I already exluded you... but come on down to Chicago and get yourself a woman anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
In Indy, if a bar is open till 5AM, odds are you are going to run into a bunch of wannabe gangstas/stupid sportsmen and get shot in the ass. Need I say more...
Ya know... I've been to Indy. In fact, I was visiting this lady friend of mine who was going to some college called Richard's... think it was on the Ohio/Indy or Kentucky/Indy border.

So we drove down to Indianapolis because we figured "Hell! It's the damned capital!"

Heh... funny thing about that...

First gas station we stopped in. There was kind of a young, hip looking guy behind the counter:

"Where's the nearest club?"

"CLUB?!?!"

"......yeah. Club."

He looked genuinely shocked. He was taken aback! I think he literally took two steps back! Started rubbing his chin and looking at the ground. Then he started rubbing his neck. Rubbed his stomach for a while. I think he was hungry...

He sent us to this one place, where it was five bucks to get in and the guy at the door seemed like he was REALLY in a hurry to take our coats... turned out to be a gay bar (we saw the BALCONY full of guys with no shirts and a pink flag just in time).

The next three or four places we stopped (in about a 20 mile radius) were also gay bars.

Finally, as we were just about to give up, we found a place with some women hanging around outside. It was five bucks to get in there too but at least we knew it wasn't a gay bar.

...turned out to be a lesbian bar.

Oh well... At least they had buffalo wings.

So much for Indiana.

Corsair 750TX PSU
Old 04-13-08, 12:36 AM   #8
Ridenow
Sneaky Moderator

If we in Springfield could evict Chicago, we would. And they can keep "their" governor.

Most bars in Springfield close at 1AM. A few, mostly ones owned by the mayor's brother (go figure), have 3AM licenses. I am over 30 and my work ends at 1AM, so I am not remembering the last time I was in one of the bars...
Since I work downtown where most of the bars are I get to try to run over drunks in about 30 minutes.
Springfield is a little odd as far as nightlife goes. The vast majority of the population works for the government in some form, mostly in a 8-5 shift. Nightlife is pretty tame and dominated by the under 25 crowd. There is a bar that is very easy to take home a woman from, but I would not want to. You might want to keep the lights off and Had to moderate myself.
Personally, I do not want to meet women at a bar or club. Usually not the type of girl I am interested in.

Old 04-13-08, 01:19 AM Thread Starter   #9
rainless
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenow View Post
If we in Springfield could evict Chicago, we would. And they can keep "their" governor.

Most bars in Springfield close at 1AM. A few, mostly ones owned by the mayor's brother (go figure), have 3AM licenses. I am over 30 and my work ends at 1AM, so I am not remembering the last time I was in one of the bars...
Since I work downtown where most of the bars are I get to try to run over drunks in about 30 minutes.
Springfield is a little odd as far as nightlife goes. The vast majority of the population works for the government in some form, mostly in a 8-5 shift. Nightlife is pretty tame and dominated by the under 25 crowd. There is a bar that is very easy to take home a woman from, but I would not want to. You might want to keep the lights off and Had to moderate myself.
Personally, I do not want to meet women at a bar or club. Usually not the type of girl I am interested in.
I suppose you're right... but then where do you meet women?

In Paris it was pretty damned easy. I'd trip over women on the way to the bathroom... in my own apartment... literally! Women at the supermarket, on the train, at parties that were constantly going on all year round... any place BUT bars... though you could meet women at bars that would invite you to parties where you could meet OTHER women.

But here? No way. No where.

It's not that Chicago women are unapproachable... they're just psychotic. First thing they'd probably think is you were trying to mug them... in most cases they might be right... but not about ME! I've met women in better places. Met one in a bookstore just a couple months back... she was from Iran and living with her boyfriend/fiancee/husband.

But she liked me and gave me her number, email address, mailing address, and all the contact info for where she worked.

She's exactly what I mean when I think about "The Dating Scene" here in Chicago: Every attractive, intelligent, compatible woman in Chicago is either: Married, has a boyfriend (*whom she's living with), isn't heterosexual, died in the early fifties.

That's why I don't even bother now. I grew up in this town. I left this town and got to travel to places where the ratio of single women to men was 3-1 or greater. I KNOW what a scam Chicago is.

The other side is I may be too jaded for a relationship right now anyway. Not too jaded for sex... but too jaded to LOOK for someone to have sex with. (Not that this has been a problem... plenty of women willing to travel to Chicago.)

There's just so many advantages to going out with someone who lives in the town you live in. I could accomplish so much MORE. I'm not really motivated to do much on my own besides work (shooting videos, editing, directing plays, sound and light, designing websites, etc), write, and play video games.

I have a buddy who's a programmer. He met his girlfriend of three years (a web designer) at work. She plays video games and likes staying at home and ordering a bunch of food for delivery. AND she's good looking! He just stumbled ass-backwards into her in the most clumsy and ridiculous manner possible.

So where does the self-made small business owner meet someone like that?

Sigh... I guess I'll just have to hurry up and finish this second book. Maybe meet someone at the signing at Borders downtown.

I can tell you from life-long experience: It's always easier (though not always better) when there's a girl out there somewhere trying to find out how to meet YOU.

Corsair 750TX PSU
Old 04-13-08, 02:23 PM   #10
Niku-Sama

you know, i think its best to avoid any town along interstate 5 on the west coast, just to add to the lompoc list

16Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-9-9-25 2T 667Mhz
MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC
Seagate 320Gig 7200.11
Seagate 1024Gig 7200.14
OCZ Stealth X Stream 600
LG LightScribe DVD Burner
Niku-Sama is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 02:31 PM   #11
cabose1227

Santa barbara is prety good though, whenever I get the chance thats were I am.

ASUS Maximus V Gene
ATI HD 5970
OCZ Vertex 4 120gb
WD Re4 500gig
WD Veloci Raptor 300gb
Old 04-13-08, 02:39 PM   #12
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
you know, i think its best to avoid any town along interstate 5 on the west coast, just to add to the lompoc list
Is Washington state considered the west coast? Most of our happening places are alongside I-5.

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) w/ WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 CECHG01 w/ WD1600BEVT 160GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 05:33 PM   #13
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

Quote:
I'll make that a point.

"What exit is it?"

"Lompoc."

Seriously.

I live in Camarillo. It sucks. We go to Santa Barbara for "action", if that is what you're in to. The nice part of C-town is that one can sleep very, very well if you want to...at night, anyway. The neighbor's gardener's leafblower prevents me from sleeping during the day.

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 05:40 PM Thread Starter   #14
rainless
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Newbie View Post
Seriously.

I live in Camarillo. It sucks. We go to Santa Barbara for "action", if that is what you're in to. The nice part of C-town is that one can sleep very, very well if you want to...at night, anyway. The neighbor's gardener's leafblower prevents me from sleeping during the day.
Hooray! "Sleeping well"!

I've gotta book a ticket!

Wouldn't work for me. I sleep during the day...

Corsair 750TX PSU
Old 04-13-08, 05:47 PM   #15
ShadowPho

Is it really that bad in Chicago? I was just just planning to go to a club or something...

MainComputer:
E6400@2.69-4.0 gig RAM-8800GT
ASUS P5N-E SLI

ShadowPho is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 05:50 PM   #16
nerdlogic

LA is pretty good, I must say. When I was in the dating scene, I never had an issue getting a date. My friend that lives closest to me always has girls coming in and out of his apartment. I swear, he's too much! LOL
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 06:55 PM   #17
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

Quote:
Hooray! "Sleeping well"!

I've gotta book a ticket!

Wouldn't work for me. I sleep during the day...
I meant it in the literal, not figurative/"good" sense.

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 10:46 PM   #18
JerkasaurusRex

10 Year Badge

Why not try NYC? Almost EVERYTHING is open 24/7. I feel like i could go outside and get anything i wanted at any time of the day or night. Also it is a HUGE city and there are good looking people everywhere. If you aren't into the whole hipster look stay far away from Brooklyn, specifically Williamsburg and Park Slope. Coincidentally most of the writers and artists and that sort of people live in the Park Slope area.

There are clubs, bars, cafes, and bookstores always open ready for you to meet women in.

Maybe i just like NYC a lot and i feel this way. I am currently stuck in the boonies of Western MA for college and i am only back in NY during the breaks.

0 = n - n
JerkasaurusRex is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 10:53 PM   #19
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Well, in southwest Connecticut, it is mostly about which cliques you are part of.

All bars must close at 1:00 (2:00 on Saturday) and in the downtown area, the police literally roll up the sidewalks right then. Seriously, every bar puts the lights on full at 12:45 and if you are not gone in ten minutes, you will hear the jukebox playing Red Peters “Get the **** outta here”. Then there is a choreographed deal with around 30 police cars to get everyone moving.

Obviously, the only effect that this brings is to move the general party elsewhere. Where you go depends on whom you are connected to. Being on the state line, that can be one of a few places and varies with your current group. Pretty much, the party moves with the state of the zeitgeist. Usually, I go with whomever I happen to be talking to at that moment.

As far as picking up the chixxors, again, it goes by whom you are hooked up with. If you want to go home with some random drunk, you have as much of a choice as you had to drink with before stuff closed.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-08, 12:31 AM   #20
TommyHolly

I know what you mean Rainless... To actually meet some chick that is dating material in a bar is really hard. But I have had good luck in places like supermarkets (especially Trader Joes) and restuarants or just walking down state street. Overall, I think the Chicago dating scene is decent, not spectacular but pretty good.

But yeah, the best ones are usually married or something is wrong (like they are really hot and reeeeeeeally crazy, LOL) I had really good luck with the whole internet dating thing for a while but that was just for a hook up and not anyone that I'd actually date for more then a week. I am currently dating someone I met off the internet but it was a hassle dealing with all the liars, scammers, and crazies to find one or two good ones. The dating scene is pretty much the same anywhere I've been no matter what town, state, or even country. Some of my best relationships were completely random meetings, (on the train to Brussels from Germany, in a hotel at breakfast in Springfield IL., Air Force tech school...) Some of the best way I get dates is through friends of friends or neighbors who know I'm single that '*****' me out, haha. They tell me "oh you just got to meet 'so and so'...she is single and really beautiful and I think you two would get along great!"

By the way, have you been to Springfield? I go down there once a month and I love it! Ask Ridenow what's it like if you don't believe me, I have alot of fun there.

My biggest problem with the mid-west in general is:
1. The women tend to be overweight and they think that they are way hotter then they really are.
2. Many of them are brainwashed to get married asap and live the fairytale princess lifestyle that is owed to them because of (insert idiotic reason here)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.