• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building New computer , expert advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brfc

Registered
Hi

I currently have a Acer Aspire 5633 1.6ghz dual core 2 with 2gb ram and a 120hdd.

But i plan to sell this and put the cash towards a new Desktop.

I plan to either build it myself or get someone else to build it for me. But i have several decisions to make before i start to buy the components.

I use the computer for:
Football Manager(worldwide soccer manager to you)
Age Of Empires3(not currently as i cant run it on this laptop)
Music.
Msn
Internet
Photoshop
Illustrator(plan to do design at college then uni possibly so a good pc is essential)
But when i play FM i would be on msn and also listening to music.

I have around £550($1100) to spend , which includes Vista/Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers/Monitor.

First of all i need to find a good motherboard , i hear the Asus PK5 is good, but im not totally sure?

Then i have to decide which processor to go for, its a toss up between the E8400 Wolfdale or the Quad Core Q6600. Now i really dont know what to do , but as i understand it Quad core is the future but not many programmes use it to its potential yet. I would also plan to overclock the quad up to around 3ghz , but im worried at doing that as it voids the warranty. Is it risky ?

Im settled on having 4gb of ram , but i dont know which is good for overclocking etc.

Ive been recommended the Nvidia 7900GS as a good GFX card as i only need it to play AoE3(dont play games Crysis etc)

I dont really understand hard disks at all, but id want at least 500gb if not more depending on pricing.

Also,if i plan to overclock i understand i would need a good fan?

I would also want Vista(64 Bit)

And i have found a 19" screen for around £100.

And i will buy the keyboard when its time to , but any recommendations would be helpful.

I know its alot to digest! But any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT- Also would a sound card be wise to have? Not a clue!

Q6600 780i 9600gt or 8800gs 4 gigs crucial ballistiy 800 mhz ttu120e cooler stacker case 320 gig x 2 hdd. Ill help more when i get home im om phone atm.

Is overclocking the quad a risky thing to do?

Dont want to break it or anything.

strange, i could do it from mine :) then again, its a windows mobile phone

btw brfc overclocking the quad isnt bad if you have the proper cooling.

I don't know much about Intel motherboards, but I've heard good things about the P35 chipset. For a graphics card you could go with ATi 3850 or 3870 or nVidia 9600gt, 8800gs, or 8800gt. The 8800gts would be more expensive and probably overkill for AOE3. I play AOE3 on a 3870 and it runs beautifully. Make sure you get a decent power supply as well. If you need help with that check out the stickies in the Cases and Power Supplies section. As for a case, I recommend anything from Cooler Master as I've owned a few of them now and have loved them. As for fans, more RPM = more noise. Well built, low RPM fans (800-1200rpm) like Scythe, Yate Loon, etc. will be nice and quiet and should be fine for you.

Q6600 780i 9600gt or 8800gs 4 gigs crucial ballistiy 800 mhz ttu120e cooler stacker case 320 gig x 2 hdd. Ill help more when i get home im om phone atm.

Q6600=cpu
750i/780i=both motherboard chipsets
9600gt/8800gs=graphics cards
4 gigs crucial ballistix=ram (I suggest G.Skill though)
ttu120e=thermalright ultra 120 extreme (also called TRUE 120)
stacker case=Cooler Master Stacker
320 gig x 2 hdd=hard drives

Thats what I think he meant anyway :)

Been reading on a website that Intel are bringing out a new chipset in November and you should wait for those? Why?

Also been told that AMD quad are better as they are TRUE quads as opposed to Intels, dont get it at all!

Whats an ideal PSU also?

Q6600=cpu

what juane said about the memory :) watch out tho if you do decide to buy crucial, they're going through a bad phase with their single sided ram.

Been reading on a website that Intel are bringing out a new chipset in November and you should wait for those? Why?

Also been told that AMD quad are better as they are TRUE quads as opposed to Intels, dont get it at all!

Whats an ideal PSU also?

The November Intel chips that you read about is probably the "Nehalem" design. I don't know all of the details, but its Intel's next big design change and its been hyped about a lot. Its expected to be pretty awesome.

As for the AMD quads being better, that is a loaded statement. They are generally not as fast and do not overclock as well. However, they are "true" quads for better or worse. The Phenom 9850 is about comparable to the Q6600, or at least nearly comparable. Most people would say that the Q6600 is better.

Starting to worry now!

Q6600=cpu

Yeah thats it.

Back