• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird double hard drive 'issue'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

I don't get this one at all. In my collection of drives in my computer, I have a 320GB, a 160GB, a 120GB and a 500GB. But Disk Management insists theres another 120GB in the system (there isn't, I've physically checked to make sure as well!). This one comes up as failed though, with no data on it, but it isn't in the lower pane with all the partitions. I've only got one 120GB drive, and I've ran diagnostics, it's fine, no issues. So why do I have a 'broken clone'?

Had RAID at one point?

I had that happen with my RAID after I killed the array. 1 drive in the system showed the RAID as it was setup...it was really weird, had to use DBAN to erase it.

I'll give that a shot later when I get home from uni. It is reported as the exact clone of the 120GB, aside from the lack of existence of it, and no reported data either.

Is it listed in Device Manager by any chance? You could always "uninstall" it from there.

That, I will have to check much later! I have an inkling it doesn't though, I'm OCD when it comes to making sure my computer is in order!

Nope, only one IC35L120 exists (the duplicate drive), uninstalled it, reinstalled as per normal, still there!

You probably have a dynamic raid 1 array, thats why it is showing the fake drive. Just right click the good one and change the volume type to a non raid drive or a JBOD.

there's no raid anywhere, it's available, but it was disabled before installing vista, and this is the first mobo I've ever had that has had raid.

Its not hardware raid, it is software raid being done by the OS. Thats what Dynamic Disks allows you to do. Copy the data off the drive and convert it back to a basic disk and the ghost will go away.

Back