• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant dual boot properly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

assmanof

Registered
I tried to install Vista and Xp on one partitioned drive using a backup image of Xp I have. Well It didnt work for whatever reason so now I have Vista on one drive and Xp on another. Vista boots up by default and I used EasyBSD to dual boot Xp. When I choose Vista it works fine, when I choose Xp it reboots the computer right away.

Thing is when I boot the drive from bios Xp boots right up with no issues. How do I get Xp to work using the bootloader and not have to go into bios every time?

Dave

There should be an option to install the bootloader on legacy drives. In VistaBootPRO, the option is there, so I figure it'd be there for EasyBCD as well. Also, you should move over some files from the XP drive to the Vista drive namely, the NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and boot.ini.

I used VistaBootpro and installed the legacy bootloader and it didnt work. I installed only on the Xp drive and then tried all drives which took out the working Vista bootloader. I couldnt get back into Vista but I could get into Xp which allowed me to get back into Vista.

And these other files where do they go in Vista? Do they replace the Vista files or exist next to the ones already there? And do I move them over or make another copy so its on both OS's?

To get Vista back, put in the Vista DVD and go to the command prompt and type in "bootrec /fixmbr". That should give you back the Vista drive. The files are from the XP partition and are needed to that Vista knows where the XP drive is located. You might have to change the boot.ini, too. Run VistaBootPRO in Vista.

Back