• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 8800gts 512 very strange "electric "noise???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

powergi

Registered
I just built a new computer and im having some problems right now. I wanted it as silent as possible, and actually one of the, if not THE, most annoying noise from my computer is the video card.. wth... I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 512 @ stock speed.

I saw on youtube a guy who had that kind of problem (Like an "electric noise" coming from the video card) but it was only when his card was running at very high fps. He just had to activate Vsych and his problem was solved, well thats what he says.

But not me. I still didnt install a lot of programs and games, but in oblivion, 3dmard programs, and actually even when I watch some videos in windows media player, my video card makes some kind of VERY ANNOYING electronic noises.

I never read about that problem anywhere, but it is sooooo annoying. Anybody ever had this problem with a video card? Should I return it? The card seems to do its job prefectly though.

The only problem ive had for now, except the noise, is mouse lag in Oblivion and in the menus of rainbow six vegas (game works perfectly though, unlike oblivion which mouse lag a bit in game too). Is that mouse lag normal? I dont have the mouse lag in NFS most wanted. I didnt try other games yet. im using vista 64bit home premium, q6600 stock, 4gb ram, p5k premium wifi, corsair 620 HX.

its coil wine... its essientially the components that provide power to the card vibrating at very high frequencies... and it varries depending on load... happened with the original G80 8800gts/gtx/ultra, i would know i have one.... its nothing to be worried about and i dont think its warrent for RMA.

my mobo does this after i uped the speed to 3.5 and my old videocard would do it as well.
keep an eye on your performance, i noticed when my 7900gt did this the screeching got worse and the performance hit the floor. but it always did it to some degree.

some times at night when i move the mouse i can hear it comming out of my computer, left and right is a different pitch than up and down.....i have no life

Well this is sooooo annoying i dont know how i can humainly endure that for 3 years... and you say i cant even rma it?? god...

my 2nd 8800GTS 512 had a bad bearing in the fan and made a loud whining everytime it ramped up. I sent it back for replacement to newegg.

my 88gtx makes those sounds too, but i only hear it when running apps like 3dmark, its like a whine.. then cuts out.. and comes back when the next test is loaded.. my motherboard also makes a sound when loaded and running high fsb, but its different, its like a tick tick tick.

Yea its actually a pretty wide spread problem, can happen to any high end graphics card, and sometimes PSUs as well. For me it happens like the person you described, only in high FPS situations and vsync fixes the problem in the rare case it happens in game (oblivion menus). Vsync could also help with any mouse lag problems, so give it a shot.

As far as I know you can RMA your card actually, theres no guarantee the new card won't have the problem though.

Ok there is development in this matter. My friends 8800gtx ran perfectly so I tried it in my computer and he tried my card in his computer, to see if the problem was really my video card. Then, to everyone's surprise, both computer were making the noise. now thats strange. oh well, nothing can be explained by that test, so we give each other back our card, and now, HIS card has the problem too in his computer.... Its making a really strange electrical noise under stress, like in a game. But the pitch of the noise is different depending what game i play and where you are in the game (ingame or in menus etc) and depending what you see during playing. So I went to my computer store, which is specialized for gamers, and have no idea whats the problem, so they said they need to do more tests and that id have to leave my computer, which i didnt, for now. But what i did is RMA my card, so they passed my an asus 8800gtx while i wait for my rma card to come back, and now their card too is making the problem hahaha... So somehow my computer broke 3 graphic cards for now. The sad part is that the video cards, for now, still do their job perfectly, but they all make noise now, kinna like coil whine. They think the problem would be the PCI-E slot or the Power supply... So Ill have to leave them my computer when my RMA card arrive..... What you guys think about all that? Ever heard of something like that? What are your theories? I mean seriously... a computer literally transmitting a problem to videocards..

Digital power and high(er)-grade cooling FTW!
I wish more nVidia OEMs would use more advanced components like ATi who makes it standard.
My ZOTAC 8800GT AMP only makes a wineing noise when the fan is at non-stock speeds, it wines at random numbers that it would never normally run at.

I wonder if the coils could resonate causing damage... sound is the enemy of poor connections.

check its the Graphics card !!

I thought mine was and it was not it was my PSU !!

I'm an electronic engineer - and checked with a power engineer at work - and he said it was perfectly normal for a "cheap-ish" power supply and nothing to worry about - mine is a Tagan dual-power

I bought an Ultra when they first came out and it made the same annoying sound at load. The card died about 8 months later and I just had it RMA'd. I received this RMA replacement Ultra a few weeks ago and it does the exact same thing.

I do agree, its annoying as hell. The rest of my system is nearly silent.

Back