• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Northwood or Prescott?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

In the process of upgrading the fileserver in my sig with left over parts. Only minor changes to benefit WU production, but since that system is on 24/7 I figured what the heck! Things like a going to a P4P800 i865PE dual-channel DDR400 board and probably a 3Ghz HT CPU, but which is better for Folding at the same speed? Northwood with only 512k L2 or Prescott with 1MB L2 but much longer pipelines...

I would go with the Northwood too, and overclock the hell out of it. The Presshot will strain the vrm's on that board to the max and I don't think there is much difference in folding ability between northwood and Presshot.

northwoods ran faster clock for clock until you got about over 3.4Ghz i recall, then the presshot took over and was much faster then the northwood, however the heat was the big issue.

Found myself a nice 3.2Ghz Northwood so we'll see what this does. These things are pretty rare also! 99% of 3.2's you'll find on auction sites are Preshotts. At least HT will keep the fileserver more responsive while Folding 24/7...

I have a 2.8 on the way myself ;)

I'm going to upgrade the fileserver next week hopefully, and put my current 478 fileserver in the farm :)

Needs new caps too, but I think I'll at least get it going for now and do the caps later.

I have a 2.8 NW from a Sony laptop running the GPU client. It can OC to 3.5Hz with stock voltage and an Intel OEM HSF.

Coolio but I don't want to heavily OC the fileserver. It's also the printerserver AND I don't wanna lose WU's! That's why I went for the fasted stock Northwood I could easily find.

I am running a northwood. Doesnt go over 55 celcius. Really nice processor to run 24/7 because it doesnt consume much energy for me.
Agreed. It OC easily without voltage increase, runs relatively cool even with OEM HSF, and the HT can come in handy with certain apps. The only Netburst processor that I would prefer would be the Pentium D, but only because it's a true dual core and can run the SMP client, however it requires a different socket than the board I have now.

So you shouldn't run the SMP client on HT single cores?
I guess you could, but I never tried it. Since the SMP client only requires that it detects two cores in the OS, logical or physical, it should install fine. However, even if you successfully install the SMP client and it meets the deadlines, I seriously doubt it will complete a WU before the preferred deadline. So, you might receive the points for the work, but Stanford will reassign the WU to someone else if it doesn't make the preferred deadline, thus delaying research for the project. It's your choice.

Bleh. Damn old northwoods...
Actually, I know of one person that has a single core P4 running the SMP client and makes the deadline, but his processor is OC to 3.8GHz. If you can get a stable high OC, it might be worth a shot. Try it and let us know your frame times. I might do the same but I'll need to get a different board that's better for OC.

I will. I'll need to replace the caps before I can go to the limit though.

I suspect my board will be the limiting factor, especially since it's a microATX

So you shouldn't run the SMP client on HT single cores?

It will likely struggle (as someone pointed out above), and also HT isn't like dual core in that losing the HT benefit isn't as hefty as losing the benefit of a core.

I'd run two console clients on a P4HT.

I have three p4 640s running the SMP client. They have no problem making the deadlines, but the slowest is running @ 3.6 GHz and the other two @ 3.86 GHz. The 2 MB cache is the key. A Northwood won't make the deadlines.

i had a P630 3.0Ghz over clock to 4.5Ghz on water stable no problem. the water got hot but it ran nice stable with temps that where on the warm side but not in the danger zone.
I would get some good cooling and clock the crap out of the Prescott

i had a P630 3.0Ghz over clock to 4.5Ghz on water stable no problem. the water got hot but it ran nice stable with temps that where on the warm side but not in the danger zone.
I would get some good cooling and clock the crap out of the Prescott
For less than the cost of water cooling, one could look for a cheap C2D processor and replace the P4 with it (assuming its S775). No matter how high you clock a P4, a C2D will probably beat it and use much less power.

Hopefully the 3.2 is delivered this week. I'll mildly OC it and run two console clients on it. I'm still in doubt about swapping the P4P800 board in my fileserver for the ABiT IC7-MAX3 in the kids' system which is a top of the line Socket478 (and great OCing) board.

Back