• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation Store Still Sucks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
It looks a bit nicer (after twelve hours... when the images finally load), but other than the facelift, the PSN store hasn't changed at all.

Why is it, for example, that when I click "View All By Title" I have to THEN go through every letter of the alphabet individually? (And two entires for "S")

AS IF THEY'VE GOT LIKE THOUSANDS OF GAMES!

They probably have less than a hundred total things on PSN right now... they could easily be scrolled through on one page. How many games do you think they have under "Q"?

I know this is a rant... but nothing makes me angrier than faulty logic. Who could've possibly seen this setup and thought it was a good idea?

As far as the rest of the store goes, essentially all they did was use PHP (or maybe XML...) to drop the information that was on the web-based site into a series of menus built into the XMB instead. It's a fine idea... the 360 does more or less the same thing with its dashboard... but why the hell does it take twelve years for the pictures to load?

I know this is Sony's first shot at really making sense... but I can't quite figure out how they've managed to make it NOT work.

The design is there but its slow as hell the pictures are supposed to cache to the HDD but people are asking does it clear once the console is fully turned off.

Sony got requests on the official forums to change it they did but have made it worse you watch they'll be another firmware update next week to speed the icons up lol.

How many games under Q? 1 = Q-Bert (thats my guess)

Also people are complaining about there being no DEMO button instead they have put Family Games when there's an ALL GAMES button I am one for the DEMO button too. There excuse for the slow icons will be and I quote "The reasons for the slow icons in the new design shop are because of the high amount of people using the store at once".

I am wondering at what content the EU store will get this weekend supposed to MGS Online BETA and because the EU store had to wait 2 weeks for it's new update where getting something special whooot not!.

I know what it'll be a free theme :beer:

The design is there but its slow as hell the pictures are supposed to cache to the HDD but people are asking does it clear once the console is fully turned off.

Sony got requests on the official forums to change it they did but have made it worse you watch they'll be another firmware update next week to speed the icons up lol.

How many games under Q? 1 = Q-Bert (thats my guess)

Also people are complaining about there being no DEMO button instead they have put Family Games when there's an ALL GAMES button I am one for the DEMO button too. There excuse for the slow icons will be and I quote "The reasons for the slow icons in the new design shop are because of the high amount of people using the store at once".

I am wondering at what content the EU store will get this weekend supposed to MGS Online BETA and because the EU store had to wait 2 weeks for it's new update where getting something special whooot not!.

I know what it'll be a free theme :beer:

There as a demo button... and I don't have anything that says "Family Games". Also, best as I can tell, it doesn't cache to the hard drive at all. But even if it id... these are PICTURES. It doesn't matter if all four or five million PS3 users are logged in and using the playstation store at the same time... it shouldn't be any different than a million people hitting Sony's website or playstation.com

There is a Demo button for me as well, and I am missing a Family Games section. The Icons do cache to the HDD, which you could tell Rainless if you entered one part of the store, went back, then reentered it. Not sure if they stay after the system has be powered down though. As for the Speed. All sections actually load fairly fast for me, that is except for the themes and Wallpaper section. The other sections I visited the icons basically loaded one after another at a decent speed. (Maybe I was checking it during a good time?) If 5 million were logged in at once Rainless though that would be some crazy bandwidth. For instance as I was browsing the store today I had 2 downloads going. So say we had 2 million downloads going at 50KB/s and had 5 million people loading each 10 images at 10kb an image, you could see where the bandwidth would go.

Honestly, the store right now has no real ads besides for some games. Which IMO makes is less ad cluttered then Xbox Live! which I pay for. So I really don't see how this free online model is going to work, atleast until home comes out. Going of that I personally would be happy to pay 5$ a month for a better PSN.

(Sorry if that did not make much sense. For some reason right now I am lacking the ability to properly think)

There is a Demo button for me as well, and I am missing a Family Games section. The Icons do cache to the HDD, which you could tell Rainless if you entered one part of the store, went back, then reentered it. Not sure if they stay after the system has be powered down though. As for the Speed. All sections actually load fairly fast for me, that is except for the themes and Wallpaper section. The other sections I visited the icons basically loaded one after another at a decent speed. (Maybe I was checking it during a good time?) If 5 million were logged in at once Rainless though that would be some crazy bandwidth. For instance as I was browsing the store today I had 2 downloads going. So say we had 2 million downloads going at 50KB/s and had 5 million people loading each 10 images at 10kb an image, you could see where the bandwidth would go.

Honestly, the store right now has no real ads besides for some games. Which IMO makes is less ad cluttered then Xbox Live! which I pay for. So I really don't see how this free online model is going to work, atleast until home comes out. Going of that I personally would be happy to pay 5$ a month for a better PSN.

(Sorry if that did not make much sense. For some reason right now I am lacking the ability to properly think)

The page caching is just for ONE page at a time. Like if you go into "Addons" leave, and come back, then the Addons icons will still be there. But that's not hard drive caching... that's MEMORY caching. If it was using the hard drive to cache (as Live does) then it wouldn't need to load the images every time.

It's not a question of the pages loading... the pages are built into the XMB. It's the problem with the pictures loading. And it makes no sense that such small pictures would take forever to load. There are about a hundred million people logged onto Yahoo.com at any given moment... and I don't see yahoo's pictures taking a long time to load. Why should Sony's.

/\Could be memory, could be HDD. We simply don't know. (Page Files, and Cache on the HDD are deleted all the time not simply when the system is powered down)

As for the speed. Can't argue there. Remember though Yahoo is very happy to give you Ads, PSN not so much. (They have some Ads but I am doubting those are payed for, more of show off items right now.)

Looks nice - heads and shoulders better than the old PSN. Still, it's god awful slow in loading icons so I hope this works out over time.

deception``

I retested it today. Honestly, when I was using it before everything was loading pretty fast, so I thought some the gripes were just overdone. Today though I can see what some of you are saying, it was like 5 minutes to load one page.

I retested it today. Honestly, when I was using it before everything was loading pretty fast, so I thought some the gripes were just overdone. Today though I can see what some of you are saying, it was like 5 minutes to load one page.

Told ya ;)

You probably just went to the PS Store and left it running while you went to cook a twelve course meal. Then when you came back:

"Heeeeeeey! What's everybody complaining about? These pictures are loading LIGHTNING FAST!"

Last edited:
Also, it isn't web based anymore, which allows it to generally suck less. All it does is grab info off the internet rather than a whole page.
Besides, I'm sure it's getting hammered.

I tried it around 11pm and night and sheeeeeeeeezzzzzz............ Rainless wasn't joking about going and making dinner, then coming back and the icons were loaded.

This is what the EU store buttons look like no DEMO button what so ever EU customers are complaing on the official website about it :shrug:

But it's a lot faster now I downloaded the MGS O Beta today didn't take long about 30mins cant wait to get stuck in where do I got for an Konami ID etc

Last edited:
Back