• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 worth it for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Golden Monkey

I am running the rig in my sig. right now. Is it worth the money to buy a Q6600 or should I stick with my E6420 @ 3.2 GHz? Would I notice much of a difference? I do some light gaming, photo editing, and video encoding.

It will really depend on your usage. Gaming and photo editing might not differ much between dual cores and quads but in video encoding quads should take advantage.

video encoding.

If you do a decent amount of that, get a quad, no question about it. That is the main reason I got the Q6600 over the dual chips. Most video encoders are multithreaded. Handbrake encodes are ridiculous with the Q6600. I've gotten ~135fps encode on a DVD -> Apple TV compatible m4v file.

Just sick compared to the fact I maxed out @ 30fps (if I was really lucky) on my AMD 4200x2 dual core.

It will really depend on your usage. Gaming and photo editing my not differ much between dual cores and quads but in video encoding quads should take advantage.

I would agree. You can also go for for an E8400 or a E3110. Both are dual cores and both oc easily to 4.0Ghz and better.

I'm having a hard time passing up that deal, if only for the sake of better crunching. The one thing holding me back (except for the whole $180 when I already have a perfectly good CPU thing) is that those things take a lot of juice. It might make more sense to hold out until the 45nm quads come down in price, since they should run cooler and cost a bit less to run. It shouldn't take as long for those prices to drop to this level as it did for the q6600.

Most people who have the q9450 are dissapointed, and the cheapest is 300 at microcenter online, almost double the price.

Q9300 is 250 with 2 gb free ram, not that great.

Yeah the 6600's are a solid deal right now. The Q9300 is garbage, unless you are really looking for a 45nm. Just one thing to note, a buddy of mine ordered two from Frys when they were 199 ~2 weeks ago. Both he received were B3 steps.

Not saying that is fact for all of them going out, just from his direct experience.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Trying.......to.......resist. :bang head

In the last five months I've bought a 52" LCD, a surround system, a 360, and a new router and desktop adapter. I need to stop. :p

You could throw that 6420 on the classifieds here, newegg still charges $190 for it, and the cheapest on Froogle is something like $140.. You should be able to get something like $100 for it here, leaving you with an $80 Q6600 :bday:

You could throw that 6420 on the classifieds here, newegg still charges $190 for it, and the cheapest on Froogle is something like $140.. You should be able to get something like $100 for it here, leaving you with an $80 Q6600 :bday:

Hmm....not a bad idea. Will I be OK with my current PSU and Heatsink/Fan? I know the Q6600 draws more power and runs warmer than my E6420.

Hmm....not a bad idea. Will I be OK with my current PSU and Heatsink/Fan? I know the Q6600 draws more power and runs warmer than my E6420.

You should be more than fine with your current setup. I have the Q6600 with the TRUE with the components listed in my sig on a 550w PSU. You should be more than fine.

Thanks guys. Yeah I might have gone a bit overboard on the PSU when I upgraded but I didn't want to have to get another one any time soon.

Man I have to think hard about this one. I'm really trying to resist.:bang head

If you do significant video encoding and reducing encoding time is worth it to you it is absolutely worth it. I do multithreading number crunching for my work and productivity with my Q6600 is MUCH higher over my previous E4300. I typically run my number crunching on all 4 cores in Linux along with a Windows virtual machine and there is almost no slowdown at all even when all 4 cores are maxed out. I cannot imagine ever going back to dual cores....

I know $25 is a good bit of cash to save, and the MSI does come with Witcher (horrible piece of garbage game :p ) but to me at least, it's a $25 well spent to go with the EVGA just for their great warranty and service. As a bonus, you won't be tempted to waste any hard drive space on a game that just needs to be buried with E.T.

:beer:

Back