• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everyone loves lapping pics!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamsexyrob

Registered
Well my system was down while investigating a leak, so I decided to go ahead and lap the cpu. It's an Opteron180, was pretty concave, but the 220 grit took that out fast. I'll get temps probably next week since my system is still down waiting on a new graphics card.

Here are pics, click for hi-res pictures.

starting

220 Grit wetsanding

320 Grit wetsanding

400 Grit wetsanding

600 Grit wetsanding

800 Grit wetsanding

1000 Grit wetsanding

1500 Grit wetsanding

1500 Grit dry polishing

Perfect.

Sould have stopped at 600 or 800. Ultra smooth = less microscopic "hills" and "valleys" for the TIM to fill in, and less metal on metal contact via those "hills". Past 600/800 grit has been found to actually reduce performance.

I just dunno whats so many peoples fascination about having mirror finish polishes on thier heatsinks/cpus.
headscratch.gif

Sould have stopped at 600 or 800. Ultra smooth = less microscopic "hills" and "valleys" for the TIM to fill in, and less metal on metal contact via those "hills". Past 600/800 grit has been found to actually reduce performance.

I just dunno whats so many peoples fascination about having mirror finish polishes on thier heatsinks/cpus.
headscratch.gif

very true I never lap past about 800 or 1000 grit.

1500 grit is 3 microns, since AS5 is MICRONIZED it stll has some small scratches to go into, they are just hard to see. At certain angles I can still see all those small scratches.

and for who was asking the dry "polish" was just me rubbing it on the 1500 grit without water waiting for the copper resedue to build up on the papper, it makes it softer

1500 grit is 3 microns, since AS5 is MICRONIZED it stll has some small scratches to go into, they are just hard to see. At certain angles I can still see all those small scratches.

and for who was asking the dry "polish" was just me rubbing it on the 1500 grit without water waiting for the copper resedue to build up on the papper, it makes it softer

That may be the case, but there are tests done that show lapping to a mirror finish gives worse thermal performance than lapping to 600-800 grit.

headscratch.gif

very true I never lap past about 800 or 1000 grit.

there are tests done that show lapping to a mirror finish gives worse thermal performance than lapping to 600-800 grit.

I cuncur on all 3 quotes. Tho it does look beautiful, the mirror results of lapping does more harm than good.

Great job none-the-less ;)

You dirtry dirty nerds... :eek:

That's ok, I was hoping for teh n00dz too :D :beer:

I like the lapjob, but agree with everyone else -- 800 is where I stop. Spread on a "haze" of Shin Etsu (I get it for free) and I'm set.

well I got some temps... seem to be pretty good even though i went too high on my sandpaper grit :\

*before*
ambient:74f
liquid temp:82f
idle:38c
load:46c

*after*
ambient:72f
liquid temp:78f
idle:32c
load:38c

temps were taken with SpeedFan

the test may be skewed a bit, I changed video cards (its in the loop) between the tests. Went from a x1900 A-I-W to a 8800GT not sure the temp diff on those.

Nice drop in temps. I got a substantial drop on my opty 165 when I took the top off. If you're feeling bold give it a shot(its really not hard at all). It helped my OC a lot.

nakie = better than shiny!

its a nerve-racking experience, but easy to do, just take a good precautions towards the pins... (i used the retail packing foam that came with the cpu, and actually ended up bending a pin, after i got it strait enough, just let the socket finish it out for me... alls well that ends well...)

Back